Recording old cassette tapes into computer

Sunny

I want to record my old home recordings from regular stereo cassette tapes to my computer and then burn onto CD. Is Cakewalk Home Studio the right interface for this or is there a better program to achieve recording? Any freeware? On Home Studio how would I maintain the stereo mix from tape?

Thanks

I just did some of that Sunday and used Cakewalk Pyro. All you do is name the file press play on your tape deck and record in Pyro. When your done you just press burn to disk. I wend a step further and set track markers first.

Pyro is a cool program that don't get a lot of press. It a mini CD mastering program. It set all the volumes up to CD standards, you can add plug-in effects like comp and limiters. Edit start and stop times, how much space between tracks and a ton of other cool stuff.

For $39.00 its a much.

I'm a fan of Audio Cleaning Lab from Magix. Also $39. It's built specifically for what you want to do. Easy to use. Good built-in tools and nicely automated so you can do the job with minimum babysitting during the process.

Take a test drive by downloading the free demo.

http://site.magix.net/index.php?id=411

Have fun.

That's how I got my present job.

I used Cakewalk home studio to digitize cassettes of interviews conducted over 25 yrs ago. I saved them as wave files and burned them onto CDR's.

I used an RCA to 1/8" cable and plugged into the microphone input on my soundcard. Recording in real-time was boring. Especially listening to hours and hours of interviews.

I later used Cakewalk Homestudio to help clean up the waves. Again, veery slow and time consuming work. But it landed me a $600/week + job.

Good luck on your project.

Back