Recommend Entry Level Monitors

Mongoo

My friend is investing in a new audio recording rig mainly for recording synths, vocals, and acoustic instruments such as piano and violin. Mics and monitors are going to be entry level generally. What are some cheap big bang for the buck monitors you would recommend looking at?

Thank you for your time.

Mongoo

I have the M-Audio BX5 and they are awesome in my opinion.
However I have heard some engineers saying that the only thing that's worth buying at this price range are the Alesis M1. They are at 175$ in musiciansfriend. I haven't tried them though.

Despite the bad name, I do quite like my Behringer Truths. They have a big enough woofer to actually hear the bass. I was never happy with any of the smaller monitors I tested.

:DYo Man of Mongoo::rolleyes:

Alesis was never known for quality monitors; I had a pair, I think they were the first pair.

You can't go wrong with KRK monitors. Had a pair of them too. I had the passive; however, the actives are more popular now. So, that might be a good place to start.

I still have my Event SP monitors; however, I've replaced them. I leave the Events hooked into my system but no longer use them to mix. I found the Events to be a little better than the KRKs but, maybe a bit "boomy" with the 8 inch woofers.

Am using the Adam 7 actives now. Amazing monitors but a tad pricy. Can't get any deal on the Adam product--cost the same at any vendor. [Unless you marry the daughter of the boss.]

Best thing is to confirm with your ears if you can. Like, visit a vendor and bring your own CD or tape and listen to several.

If you decide to go for the Adam product, you will save yourself upgrades for a long time.

Green Hornet:cool:

I just saw some RP5 at $99each..usually $149.

however, a 6" inch is always slightly recommended as it's the Nearfiled "size", and 6" is the happy medium to capture more bass than the smaller ones, but still small enough to move faster for the upper mids..where the 8" lose some upper mids due to their size.

4", 5" leaves everyone wanting a sub within 6 months. and then your getting possibly even a better full freq range coverage, as the 4"5" can due the upper and mids even better than the 6"...in general.

I mean I'll take a 2-way B&W over some crap hifi Sony particle board shit box speaker thats 3-way.

but then Lord Algae made gold records with Radio Shack Optimus 7's....

so I know nothing for sure on what works best, and I can reconfirm this confusion over and over and over.....memory is full.........:p

Last edited:
My friend is investing in a new audio recording rig mainly for recording synths, vocals, and acoustic instruments such as piano and violin. Mics and monitors are going to be entry level generally. What are some cheap big bang for the buck monitors you would recommend looking at?
Thank you for your time.
Mongoo
I have KRK Rokit 5" as secondary monitors and primarily for my keyboard and they have a surprising amount of bass response. But if they were my mains, I'd opt for at least the 6" as mentioned above.
100_1695.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Back