Recodring Desks

tmcbrinn

Anyone know where I could get a decent recording desk for a fair price? Most of the one's I've seen advertised seem a bit expensive.

Hey Tmcbrinn:

What kind of deck are you seeking? Tape? Dual tape deck?

If it's tape, I suggest you check out all of the Sony models. The ES line of Sony is the HIGH price end; however, they make decks that work quite well at reasonable prices.

The Green Hornet

I had the same problem and ended up shelling out almost $500 for a really nice corner unit type thing with 12 rack spaces and a nice shelf for monitors/computer monitor, etc.
Try places that sell office furniture, I have seen a lot of computer/task desks that would work as a "recording desk" for under $200.
Staples, office depot, officemax carry these.
Also, maybe consider the option of just buying the materials and building your own custom desk.
Hope this helps.

Green Hornet: I was looking for a desk, not deck, as in a place to put all of my "stuff" and keep myself organized. But decks will be a future purchase, so thanks for the info.
I'd like something with rack spaces, but they seem to cost over $700. I don't want to pay $400 for a desk that has no rack spaces either. The problem with regular desks is that they usually have no place to put monitors, and it dosn't consolodate space well for recording equipment. I don't think I am handy enough to build one, so that's out.
$500 For a nice corner unit with rack spaces is better than anything I've seen.

[This message has been edited by tmcbrinn (edited 09-21-1999).]

Check out this link. It may be pricey with shipping, but I think this is a good idea: Hit your local music stores and see if they can sell youy a demo or floor model. That is how I got mine - my local Guitar Satan was moving down the street, and once they got to their new location, they were selling floor models like crazy to make room for new units.
The desk I have is the Middle Atlantic MD-2 CDR-1 (perfect condition) and come to think of it, it was somewhere between $500 & $600.
Good luck! http://www.e-d-c.com/specials/multidesks/desks.html

Transatlantic communications department: "...you'll need a mixer (also called a board or console); in England, it's called a desk)."
p34 Digital Home Recording,
Keating and Anderton

I wonder what they call desks in England? :)

The Middle Atlantic desks are great and worth the extra money you have to pay. They are very strong and sturdy, and best of all - they are desgined for recording gear. I had cheaper (computer) desks in the past (the $100 to $200 kind) and they did not last very long; the weight of your gear will take it's toll on them very quick.

Back