Rainbow Water-based Air Purification/Vacuum System

Cheeky Monkey

Wasn't sure where to post this, so here goes...

At a recent local home show, my wife and I stopped at a booth that deals in these Rainbow Air Filtration/Vacuum System devices. It's really a vacuum cleaner, but they tend to promote it more as a health product, leaning more to its strength as an air purifier. It's a water-based system, where the high-speed "hurricane" type motor draws in and traps airbone particulates in the water (bottom lexan container). It has a Hepa filter, but no bags or filters that have to be changed. It's promoted as serving 10 functions, the most notable being an air purifier (draws airborne dust into water), air sanitizer, vaporizer, aromatherapy, wet and dry vacuum, humidifier, etc.

As my log house has electric baseboard heating, I don't get enough air flow (particularly in winter) and more dust accumulation than I prefer. I'd also been thinking about humidity issues with respect to my guitars (although I keep them in their cases because of humidy issues). Since I'd been wanting to look into buying something to deal with all this, when a sales rep followed-up with us after the home show, we decided to have him over to our house. This was last evening. Although the sales pitch is kind of longwinded and pushy, this product seems pretty good -- albeit quite expensive, about $2K. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these units -- good, bad or otherwise. Anyone know of any comparable, but cheaper units (the company claims they're the best/only one of its kind, but I kinda doubt that. Here's links to the product.

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/eng/
http://www.vcdiscounter.com/rainbowe.html

Thanks.

er...this is a Home Recording Forum.

the Vacuum cleaner forum is Home Recleaning Forum, a few letters down. :p

yes, we bought one for allergys, they work, they are expensive...but cheaper than Hepa filters...no filters, just water. it was also a shampoo'er really great unit. then the old lady started loaning it out to dipshits, friends and family and they trashed it out by tipping it over and letting the water fill-up into the electronics section by not paying attention to the fhkng water level mark...

and basically i was out a fhkng dam $1,000 fhkng dollars...that could have went to a pair of DynAudio BM5A's...

thanks for pissing me off Monkey....!!!!!

fhk this thread.

btw, the Rainbow wasn't worth a sht as far as recording went either.

:p :p :p :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :p :)

I own one, I swear by it, wonderful vaccuum and gets used as a filter in the studio the 4 hours I'm at work a day. Can't believe the crap it pulls right from the air, and not to mention the stuff in pulls up from your carpet.

COOLCAT said:
er...this is a Home Recording Forum.

the Vacuum cleaner forum is Home Recleaning Forum, a few letters down. :p

yes, we bought one for allergys, they work, they are expensive...but cheaper than Hepa filters...no filters, just water. it was also a shampoo'er really great unit. then the old lady started loaning it out to dipshits, friends and family and they trashed it out by tipping it over and letting the water fill-up into the electronics section by not paying attention to the fhkng water level mark...

and basically i was out a fhkng dam $1,000 fhkng dollars...that could have went to a pair of DynAudio BM5A's...

thanks for pissing me off Monkey....!!!!!

fhk this thread.

btw, the Rainbow wasn't worth a sht as far as recording went either.

:p :p :p :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :p :)
er, well excuussee me! I did say I wasn't sure where to post this. Part of my interest in this is the possible humidifing aspect for my guitars -- or did you miss that part. Instead of dissing me, maybe you could've spent your time recording. Geezzzzzzzz.

i's just kidding...no dissing meant.

it was a good cleaner, just don't loan it out..is my recommendation.

jonnyc said:
I own one, I swear by it, wonderful vaccuum and gets used as a filter in the studio the 4 hours I'm at work a day. Can't believe the crap it pulls right from the air, and not to mention the stuff in pulls up from your carpet.
Thank you jonny! Your use of it is part of my intended use also.

Yep, I've got one too and it's the greatest thing! I have hardwood floors throughout my house so it's ideal and picks up EVERYTHING as well as cleaning and freshening the air as you go. It was a great investment for me. By the way, I DO NOT loan mine to anyone, not even family members. Cost too darn much for that. :D

Rainbow has a new motor!

Hi! Just wanted to mention that Rainbow has manufactured a new motor, turbo! No bearings, no brushes. This is relatively new, within the past two years. If your Rainbow is less than 20 years old and you have a warranty (bought it from an authorized dealer) you can trade it in!

And, the unit is completely insulated, so water cannot get into the motor. (Unless you drop it from a 20 story building, I guess!)

The mechanism for filtration by water (the separator) is patented, so it is one of a kind!

Let me know if you want more information. And, of course, I am an authorized dealer, so let me know if you want one. I can't sell it to you over the internet, but if we cannot get together, (d/t distance), I'll find someone you can talk to.

It's an incredible machine!
BTW, I'm a nurse, which is how I got interested in this product; for it's health benefits!

I'm on the Nay side.

Rainbow has been around for how many decades? It's not sold in stores that I've seen, it's sold door-to-door with pushy salesmen and rigged demos.
I mean, let's face it, there's nothing revelatory about lint and dust in your carpet - or shouldn't be.

And I don't even know that there's a knockoff out there. Is there? Even Hoover and Kirby - also once sold door-to-door - has plenty of knockoffs and competition as soon as their 17 year patent protection expired decades back. Yet even now, Rainbow does not.

See, when it came to my house, 25 years ago, I just saw "a fan and a puddle". The water is the "filtration" and the fan is, well, a motor that forces ambient air past the boundary layer. This didn't keep Wernher Von Braun up at night. Total price? A fair one shoulda been about $60, but this guy wanted something like $800 (my wife just said). I just couldn't see the value. I don't think the used market does, either.

It works. I'm sure it works. What's NOT to work? I'm sure it works in the long term - despite running what's basically a table-saw motor continuously. But I'm equally certain it gobbles up the kilowatts for a somewhat limited solution to an even less diabolical problem (than the salesman would have me believe). After all, i should've died TWICE by now of respiratory malady, according to their pitch. Worse, I've never lived in any house that was sealed so well that at least that much dust couldn't enter daily from leaks -- or be introduced from opening the door once or twice.

If a guy has one, well, good for you. Here's to your loving it and keeping it. Not saying you're wrong; made a poor decision; or were gypped. Just not for me. I don't know what I'm missing. The idea, and the execution, just never really blew my skirt up.

P5

Woot often has some very fine air cleaners that may help and cost a LOT less. Rainbow is an MLM outfit, as I recall.

Back