Rackmount fan

Adam P

The other day when I was given a rackmount dual fan with no power supply. It has a Middle Atlantic sticker on it, and a bit of research reveals to me that it is a Middle Atlantic part number QFP-2. It had no power cable, however, and the Middle Atlantic part number for the power cable is FANCORD-2X1. The fans are made by NMB, part number 4715MS-12T-B10. They're 115V AC 50/60Hz, which means they should just be able to be plugged directly into an outlet, correct? Does anyone have any suggestions what type of store I might be able to find the Middle Atlantic power cable, or a similar cable? It seems a bit esoteric for Guitar Center or Sam Ash. I was thinking maybe a computer supply store or something along those lines? It's only a <$10 part, and I don't want to pay another $5 for some place online to ship it to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Most likely that will be a special order at any local music store. So you'll end up paying their markup plus tax. I say spend the $15 and order it from B&H. Is it worth the hassle and delay to save what will ultimately amount to a couple bucks at best?

Yeah, I'm thinking that's probably what'll end up happening. I wonder if I could find the parts to homebrew one...

You just need a power cord, wire cutter and electrician's tape really. Cut off the end of the power cord and attach the wires to the fan's electrical connectors. Then solder them on or wrap them on solidly. Then cover that with electrical tape, making sure the two wires don't touch.

Then, don't call me if you burn your house down. Seriously, just pay the fifteen bucks and get the real deal. If the custom power cable was some outrageous amount of money I could see home-brew solutions being appealing, but it's relatively cheap so I don't recommend risking it with a homemade solution.

Back