Question on Behringer monitors

therage!

Wicked Machine
OK,

I'm not looking for opinions on monitors as the topic has been beat to death here and I've been reading through all the previous postings.

I do have some concern about the Behringer Truth monitors and RF interference. If you read through these reviews some guys are having problems.
http://www.americanmusical.com/itemrating.asp?UID=2003032918245523&edp=8472

Here's a comment...."They have horrible RF sheilding - I picked up better reception from the radio station than I did my own equipment. They also had horrible "redlining", as anyhting that was remotely loud just sounded terrible. Ive liked Behringer models in the past but these were a waste of money that I returned."

does anyone here have any experience with this issue?

Derek

most people say the high end becomes harsh at high levels. A lot of people use the hi frequency dip switch to tame the high end a bit. I can't comment on those particular problems but with Behringer i wouldn't doubt it. Why everyone doesn't avoid behringer gear like the plague still eludes me.

Personally i'd look into something else like the Yorkvilles and the Tannoy reveals. AB them against the behringers and see what you think. do you have a chance to listen to them?

I have used the Truth monitors for over a year now and have had no problems with them whatsoever. I think they are a steal at the price offered. Speaking of Behringer, I also have a 6 channel mixer from them that works fine. If your on a tight budget,their stuff is fine. I buy online from American Musical Supply. They double the warranty on everything you buy and ship for free if you buy over $250 worth of stuff. I also buy from Guitar Center locally who will accept returns for 30days if anything does not work or if you get the piece made on midnight shift on payday Friday( if you know what I mean).

:) Ditto Nick6572. Their stuff is not heavy duty, but if you stay with in reasonable levels, it will last for years for a small pearsonal set up.

i dropped a truth monitor off a mixing desk... got a few scratches.. but works fine and sounds clean..i've never dropped a behringer mixer :D maybe i should try though it might break :D

sorry to bump such an old thread

I just got a pair of Truths for xmas, and I am extremely disappointed with the RF interference. The monitors sound fine and I like having all the shaping controls, but I can't get silence! It's really hard to listen to quiet signals (i.e. fade-ins, outs) when you're listening to spanish radio over the same speakers.

Very disappointed, and if I can't get any help from their support I'll be looking to return them.

just fyi, here's how they're hooked up: Delta 1010lt connected RCA -> 1/4" into a Yamaha MG16/4 connected w/ XLR cables to the monitors. Both monitors are plugged into the same power strip. I'm wondering if maybe there's a problem with the way they're hooked up that's causing more/extra interference? Hrmmphh.

something cool said:
I just got a pair of Truths for xmas, and I am extremely disappointed with the RF interference. The monitors sound fine and I like having all the shaping controls, but I can't get silence! It's really hard to listen to quiet signals (i.e. fade-ins, outs) when you're listening to spanish radio over the same speakers.

Very disappointed, and if I can't get any help from their support I'll be looking to return them.

just fyi, here's how they're hooked up: Delta 1010lt connected RCA -> 1/4" into a Yamaha MG16/4 connected w/ XLR cables to the monitors. Both monitors are plugged into the same power strip. I'm wondering if maybe there's a problem with the way they're hooked up that's causing more/extra interference? Hrmmphh.

Why not use the 'Monitor Mixer" setting on your Delta to connect straight into your monitors and bypass your Mixer...Mixers are noisy!!!

Kid Downunder said:
Why not use the 'Monitor Mixer" setting on your Delta to connect straight into your monitors and bypass your Mixer...Mixers are noisy!!!

Because its nice to have a hardware gain control . Even a low end mixer should not add any noticable noise on its line in/outs. I use a Berry MX802 for my computer in-outs and its ideal for that job.
My Truths also seem resistant to RF no noise at all.

Tony

I gave Behringer tech support a call the other day about my RF interference problem. The guy asked me, "Well are you near any transmitters?" Uh, yeah, I live in downtown Seattle, I'm sure there's at least one nearby....

We went through the basic troubleshooting steps -- make sure they're both plugged into the same outlet as each other and the mixer, disconnect all audio connections, try different plugs in the house -- but nothing helped. My roomie's Alesis M1s don't have this problem, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's just plain old crappy shieilding.

Anyways, I shot an e-mail to Behringer tech support asking again for any bright ideas and/or possible solutions, as well as to express my displeasure. If anyone here has any bright ideas of their own (besides returning them, I'm already on the verge, and besides moving to a rural area), I'd love to hear them.

Argh!

something cool said:
We went through the basic troubleshooting steps -- make sure they're both plugged into the same outlet as each other and the mixer, disconnect all audio connections, try different plugs in the house -- but nothing helped. My roomie's Alesis M1s don't have this problem, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's just plain old crappy shieilding.

If anyone here has any bright ideas of their own (besides returning them, I'm already on the verge, and besides moving to a rural area), I'd love to hear them.
I have a quick question. I know you say that you have them plugged into the same power strip. Is it your average $5 power strip or is it a fancy power strip.
Also how much other crap do you have plugged into that one power strip?
I also thought you said you are using RCA cables? Try using all balanced connections TRS or XLR and see if that changes the problem.
Also, since you have a mixer try just plugging it into your mixer, and see if they still pick up the Radio station.
Because you live in downtown Seattle your apartment wiring may be the one picking up the noise, and being transmitted to your speakers.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply.

The outputs on the Delta 1010lt are RCA, so I'm not running balanced to the mixer. I am running balanced from the mixer to the monitors, though (XLR). But that's not the problem, since I get the same interference with or without any audio connections, and the interference doesn't get any louder/quieter when I adjust the volume.

As far as the power strip, yes it's your basic surge protector, though I've also tried plugging them directly into the wall. I'd not be surprised at all if the wiring in this place was very noisy, but what bothers me is that my roommate can plug his Alesis M1s into the same outlets and get zero RF interference. And yeah even with only the monitors plugged in to the outlet it still happens.

Thanks for the help guys, keep 'em coming. Still waiting on a response form Behringer...

something cool said:
Thanks for the reply.
As far as the power strip, yes it's your basic surge protector, though I've also tried plugging them directly into the wall. I'd not be surprised at all if the wiring in this place was very noisy, but what bothers me is that my roommate can plug his Alesis M1s into the same outlets and get zero RF interference. And yeah even with only the monitors plugged in to the outlet it still happens.
Well.... Hmmm. I'm pretty sure it's not your power supply, if it were it should've gotten louder when you plugged it directly to your outlet, and since you said you tried it without the RCAs. Well... I'm sorry to say that it's probably your speakers. However, if you have $15 or $20 to burn go buy a nice surge protector (Belkin makes some pretty good ones), and try pluging your Monitors onto that surge protector.
If that doesn't work you can always return the surge protector, and the monitors and get something else.

Let me ask you one more thing. Did your Senn... come with one of those little cylindrical magnets? They usually go on data lines. It's very commong to get them for telephone jacks, your computer CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) Monitor (Computer Screen) has one on the connection for the video cable.
I'm just wondering if they give you something like that and then tell you to put in on some line (although the XLR or TRS cables should take care of that).

I got a response from Behringer tech support saying that I should contact them about sending my monitors to one of their service centers to have an "optional RF shielding package" installed. Now, I have no idea how much that's gonna cost, but let me get this straight: They want me to pay a whole bunch of money to fix what is obviously a known defect in the monitors? No f'in thanks, I'll pass.

I'll definately be looking to return these, and steering quite clear of Behringer products in the future (although I suppose I should know that by now eh?)

Grrrrrr.

something cool said:
... service centers to have an "optional RF shielding package" installed.
Uhmmm... I didn't know that Studio Monitors had "optional RF shielding". I thought that it was pretty much a given that they had to have it. Hell, a crapy set of computer speakers have RF shielding.

I'd say return them, and based on what you want to spend (I'm guessing you got the $50 Behringer) wait and watch e-bay for some M-Audio BX5 or some other brand that can be trusted like Roland. If not go into debt at GW and pay it by month and get a nicer set like the EVENT TR5 or the Samson Resolv 65a or go even higher in the cost and get the Genelec 1029a or some Yamaha MSP5.

Good luck.

something cool said:
I got a response from Behringer tech support saying that I should contact them about sending my monitors to one of their service centers to have an "optional RF shielding package" installed. Now, I have no idea how much that's gonna cost, but let me get this straight: They want me to pay a whole bunch of money to fix what is obviously a known defect in the monitors? No f'in thanks, I'll pass.

I'll definately be looking to return these, and steering quite clear of Behringer products in the future (although I suppose I should know that by now eh?)

Grrrrrr.

Dude, I use Truths and have no problems whatsoever from noise or RF interference or harshness at high levels or anything else. Sounds like you have a defective pair. There's no "obviously known defect", however. Chill.

i have had behringer truths for a couple years now and i certainly agree that Behringer screwed up (again) by not accounting for RF shielding. I lived in a small town before and had no problem with it, but since I moved to Toronto all I get is RF Interference no matter where I plug them in. It is a defect in the monitors, just some people might not hear it if the RF around them isn't strong.

I also have a belkien surge protector (a good one) that doesn't do the trick. And have also unplugged the audio inputs and still get the RF, so it's not in the wiring of the audio. It's either in the power or the amplifiers themselves. My guess is the amplifiers (each speaker picks up a different signal). I'm going to buy some ferrite beads/clamps/rings whatever they are called and try those. IF that doesn't work these monitors are garbage (aka i will sell them).

Back