Q about hearing yourself in the center as you record, on a Sony MDM X4 - Need help...

K-wey

I bought a Sony MDM X4, which I'm otherwise delighted with. But if anyone else out there has one and has encountered the following, I'd like to hear from you.

I normally record with tracks panned hard left or right, for complete separation. That way it's a far cleaner at mix-down.

The problem I've come across with the Sony is this: When I'm recording one track (say, a lead, while hearing the previously recorded drums and rhythm guitar) how can I get the lead sound in the center to hear myself, while keeping it recorded only on one track?

Another way to put this: When I'm doing this on headphones, the lead sound I hear ends up in either the left or right can, because I've panned the track that way. But I'd like to hear the lead in the center as I play it (MUCH less annoying), but have it record only to the track I panned.

The old Tascam 424 cassette 4-track had a neat button you pushed that would do exactly this. I've tried every Sony button combination, but I cannot achieve this. Could someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

K-wey

Typically, you are going to take the tracks that you have recorded and do a mix down. Record all of your tracks straight-up without any panning, and then pan in your mix down. You may need to record your first three tracks on 1, 2, and 3 respectively and then bounce to four, at which time you would pan.

[This message has been edited by Rourke (edited 08-12-1999).]

I too have the same Sony, and I too have the same problem. I hate it! But it is a small price to pay for an otherwise great recorder. I don't think it is posible to listen to what you are recording in both ears without recoarding it on tracks 1 and 2. If you do figure it out let me know!

You could run the Sony out to a mixer and pan the mix there. It seems like a hassle though, especially if you are using a mixer before the 4 track. I too have run into this problem, and like all of you, deal because I think the Sony machine is excellent.

Although I dont owne the same recorder as you
but the following applies to all.
When you record any signal it is best to pan
to either hard left or right. Exemple,TR.1,3
left 2,4 right.Then when you're mixing down
pan the signal to the center,or where ever you whish.

Happy recording!

Back