Problem with Alesis Studio 32 Mixer

Il-Khan

Basically something bad happened and all the tracks stopped working. The green light (the one for track signal) flickers on and off for all the tracks. The red light (mute) doesn't work at all. The only sound I'm getting on my monitors is a soft buzz, which oscillates and speeds up with time.

It sounds like a power problem so I guess another part of my question is this: where can I get a replacement fuse?

If you've got lights working and the unit is powering on the fuse is probably ok. There have been a few horror stories about the boards/psu and stuff frying on more than one unit. Sorry I can't be of much help, I would contact Alesis. Not sure how much good it will do you though.

Hello everyone, I have a question about my Studio 32, as well. My mixer is part of a home studio, based around an ADAT recorder. I haven't used any of the equipment for about a year. When I went to try playing some ADAT tapes I noticed that several channels aren't working at all. Channels 5, 6, 7, 10, and 11. I get nothing from any of them. The other channels seem okay.

I'm wondering if a buildup of dust inside could be an issue? I called Alesis but they don't support this mixer any more.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Scott

Hello everyone, I have a question about my Studio 32, as well. My mixer is part of a home studio, based around an ADAT recorder. I haven't used any of the equipment for about a year. When I went to try playing some ADAT tapes I noticed that several channels aren't working at all. Channels 5, 6, 7, 10, and 11. I get nothing from any of them. The other channels seem okay.

I'm wondering if a buildup of dust inside could be an issue? I called Alesis but they don't support this mixer any more.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Scott
Hello Scott. I saw your question and thought, I just might register here and give you some kind of reply.
Sorry, if my writing isn´t 100% correct - I am from Germany.
Ok, now:
I own, with "love and hate" my Studio 32 mixer literally for decades.
Now, in the year 2022, after a longer pause, it is in duty again.
Also I am/was experiencing channels, that don´t let the signal go through. But - correct cabling & switching provided - it might be possible, to "wake up" the channels again.
Mainly the gain knobs named "Trim" have to be worked. And I mean worked hard! Many movements from left to right, and even up & down, quite rude (! yes!).
After a while, a scratchy, distorted signal occurs. Later it gets better. After a day it might be gone again and you have to work on it again, etc.

A bit more help can come from gently spraying a deoxit onto the trim potentiometer shafts, hoping it finds its way to the insides of the potentiometer.
The more often the knobs are tweaked, the more "stability" you will get.

You should also clean every jack. Minimum is to plug a cable in and out several times everywhere. You also work every switch and turn every other knob of the desk.
Mainly: The "Studio 32" hates it not to be used and tweaked regularly...

Six additional observations:
1.The mixer sounds very good, when treated or "gainstaged" right. It likes symmetric cabeling, too. Note and respect the scalings next to the faders!

2. The switching possibilities on this desk are very numerous, but the view, if a button is up or down difficult. Thus it is easy to overlook something and get lost.
It is really (!) crucial to always control, if every switch and button is in the correct position! No shame to always have the manual at hand!

3. There might be a difference, if a headphone is connected or not (grounding issue). For cutting a mix "on tape", unplug the headphone.

4.) A knobs position might result in a different level than another knob of the same kind. This is especially true for the trim and aux knobs.

5.) The Aux Sends (3&4 / 5&6) are never completely quiet. To feed an effect unit, you want to turn the channel aux sends up very high - to clearly distinguish them from the channels without effect -, but the corresponding auxiliary master only high enough, to drive the input of your effect units input very well (strong) to get the most of its "wet" output. Like this you can - for effect return - either use normal channels turned up quite low or the mixers dedicated stereo aux returns turned up quite low.

6.) Switch off (!) "Link To L/R" from the "Monitor 1/2 Master", if you don´t use Monitor 1/2 as additional input channels 17 to 32. Saves you some unnecessary noise.

Cheers, have fun and luck to reanimate this underrated little monster!

Back