Powertracks Pro multitrack recording software

mawtangent

Several years ago I decided to try recording with my computer...I bought the (then) current PowerTracks (midi/multitrack recorder software) and Band-In-A-Box (both made by the same company). I also bought version 7 of Cakewalk Home Studio. I had a very low-end system (tiny speakers etc.), which did not help to inspire me. I got tied up with issues involving my non-general-midi keyboard's communication with the software...To get to the point: I just got frustrated and gave up on computer recording (and stayed with my cassette 4-track)...I now have a current computer with some decent speakers and (hopefully) a much better sound card (I think it is Soundblaster Live 5.1). I also have a fairly modern musical keyboard. I am ready to try doing multitrack recording with a computer again, finally my question:

Does anybody here use and like Powertracks Pro for computer multitrack recording...it seems to a great bang for the buck.

I have also looked at Cakewalk (XL I believe)...I like the additional FX software that includes a compressor (which I think is on the basic Powertracks Pro already)

I have also leaned toward Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks 3 because it claimes it is easy and intuitive to use (though it does not include midi and I would have to buy the compresser add-on seperatly)

Thanks for any comments

I use it and find it very good for what I need. I record on a separate Fostex digital and then do mixdown using PowerTracks on the PC. I also use Band In the Box to generate some tracks that are used for music at Church. Both work well together as BIAB can generate separate tracks for each instrument that you can then mix in PT Pro.

Ed

For ease of use out of the box, PT is great.

For MIDI sequencing, I'd stand by it.

For multitrack audio recording, maybe not so much.

For editing audio, even less.

For external control surface, you should look elsewhere.

I use PT almost exclusively. Why? Because my computer system is quite humble and PT runs like a champ on it.

For the budget conscious it's the best thing going.

Carl

Thanks for the comments on PT...Probably will go that route...Still I am hoping it is relatively easy to use. Would someone elaborate on what is meant by "external control surface" in the preceeding post...also I am trying to visualize how the MIDI can be integrated with the wav audio...if my soundcard is "playing" the bass and drums and I add a vocal how is this all saved to harddrive...and when I want to burn to CD does the sound from the soundcard get recorded (along with the vocals) as a wav file to the CD...I have recorded into an onboard sequencer on my keyboard and understand that a performance is different than a recording (which is a big part to understanding MIDI)...and I have recorded straight from a cassette player to my computer to make wav files and CDs, but I can't get my mind around how these can coexist and be manipulated together. I think this is one of the walls I have to break through before I can be comfortable with recording on the computer (or I could just record everything as a wav file and forget the MIDI). Can anyone give me some insight to start "accepting" and understanding this.

While PT can support MIDI tracks along with WAV audio, I almost always put the MIDI portions inside BIAB. Then I use it to generate a WAV file that is then input to PT for mixing.

This approach eliminates any sync problem, that can occur when MIDI and WAV audio are mixed, and leaves lots of control to change the MIDI portion, and still retain sync with WAV audio.

Ed

Back