Powered mix or Preamp?

johndavid

I recently purchased M-Audio's Daelta66 which is great, but since I didn't do my research I was unaware that the breakout box contains no built-in preamps. :mad: My question is this, Would I be better off going with a powered mixer (something like the Behringer PMH1000 or Behringer PMP1000) or a mic/line preamp to give me enough juice for recording? I'm using ProTools 7.4 M-powered and just doing basic recording right now (4-6 tracks max).
Thanks in advance.

You don't want a powered mixer powered mixers have built in amps to run speakers..... unless you want to use the powered mixer to run your monitors. You definitely don't want to plug the main outs of a powered mixer into your sound card! A mixer with built in preamps would work though. Could be useful for other reasons as well. A stand alone preamp would work too. Depends on how many mics you want hooked up at the same time.

Thanks Yonce N Mild. I've been looking at mixers with built in preamps (I'd need about three mics min. FX optional in a usual setup), was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I bought separate pre-amp and mixer, both Behringer, coz it worked out cheaper than buying a mixer with a pre-amp coz they are automatically of a higher level hence alot more pricey.

Thanks everyone. I'm going with the m-audio DMP3 mic pre as I can make due with it for now, and when I decide to get a mixer it's a nice enough preamp to keep around.

What is a breakout box?
A breakout box essentially saves you the trouble of reaching behind your computer to move cables in your ins/outs by placing them in a box which then connects to the soundcard via a host cable.

It's kind of a generic term though. You'll see it applied to almost anything that isn't physically inside the computer.

Back