Power Conditioner

andycerrone

Banned
Of course, everyone loves the furmans, but what do you guys recommend? I don't wanna go really expensive, but somethign I know that will last a while. Right now I've got 5 units in my rack (if it really matters) and I'm planning on adding a few more soon.

Are you talking about the rackmount power strips, or an actual conditioner? I use a Furman AR-15 Series II, and it seems to work really well.

If you nose around small computer shops, you may find used line conditioners now and then taken from mainframe facilities. All they typically need is a new marine battery. I have one of those suckers and nothing nasty will get through it. Of course, it weighs about 180 - 200 pounds....

Most of the under $400 "conditioners" you see don't really do anything more than your average power strip does. :(

If it has rack lights though, I suppose $50 is worth it for one.

Ford Van said:
Most of the under $400 "conditioners" you see don't really do anything more than your average power strip does. :(

If it has rack lights though, I suppose $50 is worth it for one.

That's kind of what I figured. Thought I'd check from you 'pros'. :rolleyes: The rack is growing like a baby and i'm getting nervous about something happening to it, so I thought I'd see if upgrading from my power strip to that would save anything. I"ll still consider one though, those lights are damn cool. :cool:

I have a PL8 in my garage I'll sell you.
It hasn't bene used in months and will be checked out.

But Ford's right....

I tried to post the internal picture I did...but got bumped?

here's a second shot.

Attachments

• Studio Power Racks.JPG
    Studio Power Racks.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 61
COOLCAT said:
I have a PL8 in my garage I'll sell you.
It hasn't bene used in months and will be checked out.

But Ford's right....

I tried to post the internal picture I did...but got bumped?

here's a second shot.

How much would you be looking for it?

Why would you want to buy it?

All there is to it is standard receptacles with the blue "mov" across the terminals?

I guess the rack mount case and power switch is cool.
Its pretty damn empty inside the box. there's the lights
that I never used either.

I'll PM you after I go plug it in.

I'm a dealer with Furman, I use them all the time when I do installs.I've talked to their tech's a few times about the diffrent types of conditioners and applications. The main diffrence in their conditioner is how much of a hit they can take. Basically a lightning strike. So what I mean is how much do you want to protect your equipment.

Also, Their is always fluxuating current coming into your home. The conditioner regulates it as well. Because after time, your unit takes a beating throughout the components. TV, DVD etc.

When I do installs, and it's a big setup, I use the PL-8 Pro series II, if not an M-8 will work.

Front of house I use the ML-8(Lights),amp rack I use M-8. These are 15 amp units, regular plug. But if you get the 20 Amp series, they use the new plug, with one prong at a 90 degree angle, just so you know.

And of course they have a unit that displays the power that is being used, which is helpfull doing live gigs.

Hope this helps

For honest surge or transient protection, SAD's are a must. Otherwise, it's just another power strip IMHO.

Back