Portable speaker options for accurate playback of small ensemble practice sessions

Clarinet

Conditions: Playback of rehearsal recordings from a Tascam DR40 to a small woodwind ensemble (3 to 6 members) in a medium sized (25 x 30') room to judge tone, dynamics, blend, etc.

Prerequisites: Stereo pair, portable, reasonably accurate, less than $300.

Tried and rejected: Mackie Thump 12" PA speaker. While the built-in EQ seemed promising (mid-range parametric), the mids were harsh, the highs metallic, and the overall sound felt muddy, even after a bit of tweaking. I realize I did not use the Thump for its intended purpose - PA, loud brash output. It is not a refined "studio monitor". I'm sure it excels in performing its intended purpose.

Considering (pairs): M-Audio BX5 ($228); M-Audio AV40 ($149); Audix PH5 ($279); Mackie MR5 ($279); KRK Rokit 5 ($229); Audioengine A2 ($199); Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ($149).

I understand that the Klipsch is a different animal than the rest being a 3-piece system. But I included it in the lineup to consider because I own a set and am impressed by its balance, output and overall sound quality. But I don't want to portabalize my existing setup. The specs of the Klipsch are equal to or better than the others I'm considering. However, its form factor (3 pieces in awkward shapes) is not ideal for portability, although the total weight is on the lower end of the other speakers being considered. Actually, most are not ideal for portability given that most don't have speaker grills.

So, based your experiences and my application, what are your thoughts and recommendations - feeling free to suggest other options.

Last edited:
Back