Portable digital recorder?

loboman

Hello everybody,

I would like to buy a portable digital recorder, ideally but not necessarily of the multi-track kind.

The Korg D4 cannot be battery-operated, which limits its usefulness –at times I know I will be making recording on the street (I am planning to do “sound collages”)

The Korg PXR4 seems OK too but it uses MPEG2, and I have read devastating users’ reviews on zZounds: “In the time since it was introduced, MPEG has moved forward a generation and this box is stuck in MPEG2 land, which was never a good format… You will have to convert everything you record on it and what's worse, if you sample something elsewhere and want take this on the road to work on it, you can't – Nothing records in mp2 anymore and nobody in their right mind converts from mp3 to mp2.”

I have thought of buying a Zoom MRS4 but since it has no USB out, a Smart Media card reader is essential… That would add one more component to the system, and I want the simplicity of USB in/out lines. It’s the best alternative I have so far, though it isn’t a totally convincing one.

Alternatives, suggestions? I have a limited budget (U$ 100 – U$ 200) and would like something portable, battery-operated, to use whenever a fellow musician can’t come to my house; I will probably make recordings through dynamic or condenser microphones. Then I would add those tracks I record outside my house to whatever it is I’m working on. I need something that I can plug into my PC through a USB port, or something similarly easy to use, since I am just a beginner.

Thanks to everybody, especially to those that are more experienced than us rookies yet take the time to answer to our questions.

J.

As I've suggested in another thread - Boss BR series is the best option to go with. I'd never buy anything with Zoom logo on it though.

Alternatives, suggestions? I have a limited budget (U$ 100 – U$ 200) and would like something portable, battery-operated, to use whenever a fellow musician can’t come to my house; I will probably make recordings through dynamic or condenser microphones. Then I would add those tracks I record outside my house to whatever it is I’m working on. I need something that I can plug into my PC through a USB port, or something similarly easy to use, since I am just a beginner.

The Fostex MR8MKII might be just the ticket.

The Fostex MR8MKII might be just the ticket.
Hey,

Thanks for your answer. This may sound silly and I apologize for asking something that I should be able to find easily online… but I can’t find it. What is the size of a Fostex MR-8mkII? I would like to buy a truly portable device… Is the Fostex MR-8mkII small as a walkman? Is it the size of a VHS tape? As big as a laptop, could I at least put it in my backpack?

Thanks,

J.

Hey,

Thanks for your answer. This may sound silly and I apologize for asking something that I should be able to find easily online… but I can’t find it. What is the size of a Fostex MR-8mkII? I would like to buy a truly portable device… Is the Fostex MR-8mkII small as a walkman? Is it the size of a VHS tape? As big as a laptop, could I at least put it in my backpack?

Thanks,

J.

It's the size of a Michener Hard Cover novel -- probably about 10" by 7" by 2". Yes it will go in a backpack, and it's battery operated. Check out the Fostex site. You just want the MR8MKII, not the HD version which has a hard drive and is bigger...

Back