Plush amp

Flash

Hey guy's, I have a Plush model super 450. It's a early 70's amp. 100 watts at 2 ohm. Someone said that was an old trick to put the speakers at 2 ohm to get the wattage. I have a couple questions for someone with some amp knowlage. This amp is so load I can't turn it above 3 or 4. Someone suggested that I put in (2) 8 ohm speakers and turned it into a 4 ohm system, does that make sence? Also, is there anyone out there that knows anything about Plush amps? I couldn't find anything in the search area.

I will defer the question on the 8 ohm speakers to a more knowledgable response.

I can tell you that I remember the Plush systems from the 70's. It was a cheaper rip off of the Kustom design (padded speakers). I guess that would make them the Behringer of the 70's.

Plush was popular with many of the "soul" (R&B) bands in that period. They had red sparkle, green sparkle, silver sparkle - and maybe a few other colors (blue and black????). I recall them being more style than substance. They were used often as "PA Systems" - no one really used "front of house" to describe sound systems back then.

You made my day - I haven't heard or thought about Plush in over 25 years. I think the last time I saw one was in 1974.

Mikeh, Glad I made your day. I got this amp at the pawn shop. It just caught my eye. It's black, looks like the kustom for sure. No red sparkle or green. I might not have bought it if it did. It runs (2) 12s and like I said, It's LOUD. One problem I'm having right now is I want to replace the tubes and the speakers need to be replaced or reconed. I just don't know if I want to spend that much money on this amp. I do like the idea it's a 100 watts and it's a tube amp. What do you think?

Yo FLASH-man of Speed:

Personally, I'd go for NEW technology. For example, I have an old sentimental Benjamin Air rifle. I've had it for years. I was going to have it overhauled but I found I could buy a new Benjamin/Sheridan for less than the overhaul. I bought the new air rifle and it is slick -- new technology rather than old parts replaced by old refurbished parts.

Do you really want to spend all that $$ and have a product that doesn't groove?

Try out some new models and let your ears decide.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :cool:

Memory Lane

Plush...that's great. I have not heard that name in forever myself. I understand that just thinking about one of those amps is like a brief trip down memory lane and it really does conjures up all those old 70's funk bands. Those were the days.

Green Hornet, I was thinking about putting in Eminence gb 128 speakers and replacing the tubes. Cost would be about $225. I don't know where I could pick up a 100 watt tube amp for that price. I had the amp into a repair dude and he said the caps where good and everything else looked ok. The thing really don't sound bad now, and I know the 6L6's are not even matched. There by diff. man. and everything. One of them even has tape raped around the base. The speakers someone put the ol' toilet paper and nail polish fix to them. That's why I'm not sure what I want to do. I've had a couple trans. amps and don't like the sounds. Most of the tube amps I see even in the 50 watt area cost some big bucks. And I do like the idea of a early 70's amp.
This is gonna keep me up at night tring to decide what to do.

Yo FlashMan:

I like your creativity. Go for it man. You sound like doing this will make you happy and that's important.

By the way, I did overhaul one of my Benjamin air rifles because it's a sentimental relic.

Green Hornet

Green Hornet, I think I'm gonna do it. What the heck, it's only $$$ and I would really like to know what the amp would sound like with matched 6L6's and new preamp tubes, get the bias set and put in some new speakers. I'm glad you had the gun refurbished, it must be old.... and it's important to you also.

I know this thread is way old, but I have Plush 1060s bass amp that I am doing little tinkering with and thought you might be able to share some of your experiences. Did you ever get yours retubed and put new speakers in? How did that work for you?

Mine sounds awesome! It is so loud and clean sounding, good for bass. But, it is tube and I can't resist the temptation to run my guitar into it. But, it doesn't have a gain or preamp volume so I can't get distortion out of it, hence the tinkering.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I know this thread is way old, but I have Plush 1060s bass amp that I am doing little tinkering with and thought you might be able to share some of your experiences. Did you ever get yours retubed and put new speakers in? How did that work for you?

Mine sounds awesome! It is so loud and clean sounding, good for bass. But, it is tube and I can't resist the temptation to run my guitar into it. But, it doesn't have a gain or preamp volume so I can't get distortion out of it, hence the tinkering.

Anyone have any suggestions?

22 years ago, when I was 16, I bought a Plush amp off a bandmates grandpa. It was like brand new, and I paid $100 for it. I was in heaven! It was a 100 watt head and a 4x12 cab. Blue sparkle, it was! I personally never head a Kustom amp sound as good. Matter of fact, my bandmate had a $1000.00 (big $$ back then) Mesa amp that didn't sound as good!
I wish I still had that amp. It was too stupid loud though. I don't know how my poor mom put up with that.
By the way... I used a ProCo Rat distortion with mine. It sounded great!
I'm personally glad to see your Plush is still in service. By a distortion box, and have at it!

Peace!

~Shawn

Bringing this back from the dead. I have to disagree with some people. New technology is a valid point with solid state amps. A lot has changed and continues to change. However, with tube technology not much has changed over the last 40 years. Tubes reached state of the art in the early 70's. The Plush or Earth Tube amps are a great deal for someone wanting to get into tube amps without paying a premium for the name. Their circuitry and sound were never second rate. They were not the Behringer of the day, even though I have nothing against Behringer.

Back in those days there were many upstart companies like Plush and Kustom. By the way some people think that Plush is a Kustom ripoff. Once again not completely true. They shared similar tuck & roll exteriors, but Kustom were solid state amps, while Plush were tube amps.

Anyone interested in picking up one of these amps should expect to do what I did.

1. Replace all the old electrolytic caps and the carbon comp resistors.
2. Replace the 2 prong power cord with a three prong grounded cord.
3. Replace any noisy pots.
4. Replace shielded cable between inputs & tone stack to main board.

This a great sounding amp and after restoration is quiet enough for the studio.

Here's some pictures of mine;
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Plush 1060S/

Begging your pardon, ja2002, but Plush and Earth were made by the same company, and they were notorious for ripping off other designs- Fender, Peavey, Sunn, Kustom. I snagged a pair of Earth bass cabs, and a Sunn bass cab from the same seller- you could hardly tell the difference. Basically, nothing they made was an original design. They got sued for it, more than once, with good cause, I understand.

Not saying their stuff was not good- of course it was- they just copied good stuff already on the market! :D

Begging your pardon, ja2002, but Plush and Earth were made by the same company, and they were notorious for ripping off other designs- Fender, Peavey, Sunn, Kustom. I snagged a pair of Earth bass cabs, and a Sunn bass cab from the same seller- you could hardly tell the difference. Basically, nothing they made was an original design. They got sued for it, more than once, with good cause, I understand.

Not saying their stuff was not good- of course it was- they just copied good stuff already on the market! :D

I didn't say they were different companies.. When Plush went out of business, one of the partners continued on under the Earth name. He was selling the exact same tube amps, just under a different name. However, the build quality went on a decline when the name switched to Earth (not to say it was great under Plush). Maybe because they knew the days of tubes were numbered. That's why I said a Plush labeled amp would be a little more desireable than an Earth amp.

Anyway, under the earth name they switched to solid state amps. It was those amps and cabs that were complete rip offs of Peavey. As the story goes, Peavey made a mistake on one of their printed circuit boards and Earth copied the board design including the mistake. In the end Peavey chose not to sue.

The Plush company did steal the tuck and roll look from Kustom. Their biggest problem was using cheap quality components. Resistors and caps were from surplus parts bins. So in the end replace the caps and resistors and some pots and you got yourselt a great amp.

Back