Pin 3 hot on buss outputs

Adam P

My mixer (Allen & Heath System 8) has balanced XLR buss outputs that are wired pin 3 hot (instead of the standard pin 2, of course). I plan on buying the necessary cable and connectors and making my own XLR-TRS cables. When wiring these, I'll be connecting Pin 3 to tip, Pin 2 to ring, and Pin 1 to sleeve, correct?

Now, what is the significance of having pin 3 hot instead of pin 2? Whether I use a balanced cable or an unbalanced cable does not seem to effect my level going into my recorder (HD24). I've sent a signal to two busses and sent the outputs to two channels on the HD24, one with an XLR-TRS cable and the other with an XLR-TS cable, and the record levels on the HD24 read the same when the buss levels are set the same. So does wiring to compensate for pin 3 hot simply serve to ensure that buss output signals will have the same polarity as balanced signals from other hardware such as outboard pres and so on? Or are there other reasons? I'm asking because, sonically, it seems to make little difference on a track by track basis, but the answer may very well lie deeper than that.

I hope all of this makes sense. Thanks!

As far as I am aware, there really aren't any companies still making oin 3 hot stuff anymore. Several years ago however, there were several british companies that were making stuff that was pin 3 hot. If you use a standard pin 2 hot cable with a pin 3 hot source, then your polarity will be reversed, and i believe you lose 6 db or so of signal as well. If you use a pin 3 hot cable, and connect it to a pin 2 hot device, once again you will still have the same problem. If you are connecting a pin 3 hot source to a pin 2 hot destination, you have to use a cable that was designed with pin 3 hot at one end and pin 2 hot at the other. You definately want all of your stuff to translate and communicate properly.

new guy in same boat

Hi all. First post. I have the same issue. My Tascam M3500 and Otari MX 70 schematics both call pin 3 hot and 2 cold. Everything is wired to patchbays. I switched pins 2 and 3 at the console and tape machine side so all the room ties and patch points should be correct. Somebody please tell me i didn't screw up! Thanks in advance.

That sounds like the best way to do it to me. That way you can still patch pin 2 stuff in line without worrying.

Back