Phantom Power unit

I just picked up my first 2 condensors today and since my board doesn't have built in phantom power, I fortunately noticed a dual phantom power supply unit hanging on the wall which I picked up. It's a "Peavey PS 2C". Now, this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any idea how the !@#$ to open this thing to put the battery in? Whoever wrote the instructions just wrote that there is a 'space' for it in the casing, which leads you to figure you have to unscrew the four screws and pull it apart. But apparently not so, this sucker won't budge with the screws out. There is no little door or anything. Any clue?

Give it a few smacks. It's probably just stuck on there.

If your mics need 48V, this piece won't cut it for you. The data sheet for the mics will tell you what voltage they need. It will say "48V" or "9-48V" or something. Even if they take 9V, their max SPL handling will be limited vs. using a 48V supply. Just so you know. :)

If it's stuck, it must be *really* stuck. The screws were impossible to move as well until we got out the power tools! There are 2 smaller screws surrounding each XLR connection which might be holding it down, but then again, they barely move. It just seems so inconvenient to put in a freaking battery.

Anyways, the mics are nothing special, just ECM8000s. For phantom power it just says +15 V to +48 V. So this thing I just bought doesn't do 48V? Jeez, I don't know much about phantom power supplies, I just figured I was screwed to order something off the net (which the border charges would screw me for) but I noticed this thing on the wall. Help...

RideTheCrash said:
If it's stuck, it must be *really* stuck. The screws were impossible to move as well until we got out the power tools! ...
:eek: It shouldn't be that hard, methinks.

RideTheCrash said:
Anyways, the mics are nothing special, just ECM8000s. For phantom power it just says +15 V to +48 V. So this thing I just bought doesn't do 48V? Jeez, I don't know much about phantom power supplies, I just figured I was screwed to order something off the net (which the border charges would screw me for) but I noticed this thing on the wall. Help...

The specs say it does 9V. I don't know if that will power those mics, but it doesn't sound like it.

For about twice what you paid, Peavey makes an A/C version. So do other companies. Or, a couple of ART tube preamps with phantom will run you about $100. You may find something on ebay, like a power supply or a cheap two-channel pre with phantom power.

Did your salesman help you with the phantom supply purchase? He should be willing to help you out if he did.

I pointed it out and he just said for that price (70 bucks Canadian) I could get a small mixer, but I told him I had one (I do...a Behringer 802), but he didn't seem to know anything more. So it only does 9V? That's retarded, what mics would run on that? I don't think that store deals any ART stuff, but I've seen the one you've mentioned on the net a lot. Shiiit, I guess I should try to return this or something. Damn.

Sorry, man, I hate being the bearer of bad news :( .

Wait- Behringer UB802? I just looked at it- it says it has phantom power. No?

Yes, this thing has phantom power. It sits next to my recording board. I suppose I could use it as an oversized phantom power supply? I dunno if it would degrad the quality anymore than a normal phantom power unit? It's the Eurorack MX 802a mixer anyhow, don't use for it anything. Get back to me on this, if it would be no better or worse than anything else I could buy, I'll stick with it.

Then again, I don't see how well that would work...the way I wanted it was...

Mic > XLR > Phantom supply > XLR > Board

But with the Behringer, I can plug in the mic, and I *could* hook it up to my board (with no XLR output) but then I couldn't control channels separately, unless I wanted to go the pan hard left and right route. Ahhh.

RideTheCrash said:
Yes, this thing has phantom power. It sits next to my recording board. I suppose I could use it as an oversized phantom power supply? I dunno if it would degrad the quality anymore than a normal phantom power unit? It's the Eurorack MX 802a mixer anyhow, don't use for it anything. Get back to me on this, if it would be no better or worse than anything else I could buy, I'll stick with it.

It should be fine. Is it the old one, that was either A/C or battery, or the newer A/C only? In either case, it will work. A seperate supply might be a bit cleaner than the older 802, though.

Did I misunderstand? When you said your board doesn't have phantom, did you mean your soundcard or something?

My 802 mixer is AC only as far as I know, probably the newer one. My issue about it, like I stated in my last post, was regarding hook it up though, not quite the same as a phantom power unit. My board is that old Audiopro thing (think it's in my avatar?), you've seen pics of it in the past I think. It's a 16 channel PA board from the 80s with no built in phantom power. I have 8 separate outputs of the board going into my Delta 1010lt card.

RideTheCrash said:
My 802 mixer is AC only as far as I know, probably the newer one. My issue about it, like I stated in my last post, was regarding hook it up though, not quite the same as a phantom power unit. My board is that old Audiopro thing (think it's in my avatar?), you've seen pics of it in the past I think. It's a 16 channel PA board from the 80s with no built in phantom power. I have 8 separate outputs of the board going into my Delta 1010lt card.

Well, you'll have to do the hard pan thing out of the Behringer, but once the signals are in your other board, you will have seperate control, right?

Yeah, but it would be a headache to go and get cables to hook it up and whatnot. I can try it out with some crap I having lying around tomorrow when I get time. The store I got this from deals Audio Technica stuff and they have phantom power supplies, but I only can find a 1 channel one and a 4 channel one. I came across a name for a 2 channel on the net, but I'm having difficulty locating anymore information on it. Hmm...

I've come across tons of stuff like that, but my store doesn't deal half the brands and if I order off the net, the border charges will probably be as much as the actual product (last time I got something anyways). The Behringer thing won't work out...I think I should get 2 one channel phantom power supplies from Audio Technica ordered from my local store or...I don't know. Phew, it's getting late, I should head in...I'll worry about this tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, hope you keep popping into this thread if it lives.

RideTheCrash said:
I've come across tons of stuff like that, but my store doesn't deal half the brands and if I order off the net, the border charges will probably be as much as the actual product (last time I got something anyways). The Behringer thing won't work out...I think I should get 2 one channel phantom power supplies from Audio Technica ordered from my local store or...I don't know. Phew, it's getting late, I should head in...I'll worry about this tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, hope you keep popping into this thread if it lives.

S'cool. Goodnight. :) As I said before, there is an A/C Peavey unit.

Back