PA System for an idiot...

For what it's worth we have a crappy $90 Gem sound 350 amp http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gem-Sound-XP350-Stereo-Power-Amp?sku=481216

And a pair of crappy Beringer 12 inch pa speakers http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHS1220

And they do the trick for practice we are actually running 2 guitars a bass vocals and an electronic drumset through them. It actually sounds pretty good. It's just cheap crappy stuff but it will keep us playing until we can save up for some better gear.

a small mixer a couple of 12 inch passive pa speakers and a cheapo power amp should work fine for vocals and bass. These are all things you could still get use from even if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Thank you Telepaul and 32-20. If my post was useful to you, then I got everything I wanted out of it. Actually, I usually use a Fender PD-250 Passport. It's a portable 4 channel 250 watt PA with a powered mixer and passive speakers. Because- I am that folk-rock solo guy, and for my purposes, 250 watts is plenty. When I work with a band, which I do occasionally, I run vocals through their PA, and use my passport for an acoustic guitar amp, which it does very well. As a 250 watt PA, it's pretty wussy, but as a 250 watt acoustic guitar amp, it has *plenty* of balls. It's just a matter of how you look at it.-Richie

Well, If I come across as an asshole, sorry. This is not a thread where people are busting Telepaul's balls for asking one of those *big* general questions, as often happens. Everybody here has offerred something to help him. My point is that sometimes we try to build our informational house on sand, and we give a person that lacks general experience *a piece* of the answer. All the advice given above was good. I just felt that if a person asked the original question, it indicated that he might lack the knowledge base to put the pieces of the audio jigsaw puzzle together. You can draw your own conclusions about whether I'm an asshole. Like y'all, I'm typing stuff to try and help this guy, which for me, usually means painting the big picture. My purpose is to help all the answers make sense in a larger framework.-Richie

Rich, I was not saying that you were an asshole,only that the poem reference may make you come across that way to anyone familiar with it.
No harm,no foul.Yer ok in my book.Now back to P.A.'S.

Thanks for all your responses. I don't want any animosity here, a difference in opinion is essential and lets me make the most informed decision. As it stands I could walk into a shop tomorrow and ask the guy behind the counter what I should buy. But I like to at least udnerstand some of the basics.
Tele and 32-20,if you guys plan to have a working band then the best thing
you could do is to go out and see what other bands bands playing around
your area are using.Buy the sound man a beer.Ask him/her questions.Offer
lend a hand with the load in or out in exchange for information.
In my band we use a Yamaha 20 ch powered mixer(1000 watts)Plus an additional 2500 watts.That may seem to be a lot,but it is not.part of that power is for stage mons and part is for pushing subs,the rest supplements the mains.Everything on stage from guitar amps to drums are mic'ed.3 vox
mics,with bass amp direct.That alone is enough to start seriously eating away at your headroom.Factor in things like EQ boost,reverb,the occassional delay tag,vox processors,and 3500 watts is enough for a semi-pro working band to compete.
Wait until you realize you need a good light show.DMX addresses will make you want to smash things!
Anyways,good luck and happy jamming.

Sheppard

I love me some SRM 450's :)
I used to love me some roar 714's.Nothing says ROCK N ROLL like waking up on a strange bathroom floor with a hottie that is to comatose to object to your using her panties to shield your eyes from the sun.Ahhh,the good ole
bad days.

TelePaul,

I don't want to sound too skeptical or harsh but man you have 3,007 posts and rep power of over 180402 and you don't have any live sound reinforcement experience? Dude you need to take it out of the studio! :D

Rusty K

TelePaul,

I don't want to sound too skeptical or harsh but man you have 3,007 posts and rep power of over 180402 and you don't have any live sound reinforcement experience? Dude you need to take it out of the studio! :D

Rusty K

I'm not in a band. And I don't really write my own stuff. I just like playing guitar.

Last edited:
Back