PA setup for sax, acoustic, spoken word, at small gigs

jbroad572

Well, I'm sick of waiting for a band to come together, so I think I'm going to rely on some tracks in the meantime. What I was thinking about is getting the 1u rack mixer Rolls RM65, an effects processor probably a Lexicon MX200 or maybe a Digitech GNX4, and possibly a JBL EON G2 15". I figure with the mixer and effects processor all being able to fit in a rack, whenever I play at different churches or different events I can already have my reverb, compression, settings preconfigured and I can control it easily, in addition I can always setup my own monitoring situation if needed. With the EON G2 I figure it will be good enough for just a sax, a singer, maybe some percussion, and my tracks through a cd player and of course I will probalby add another when it's needed.
Would there be a better active speaker to go with? Cheaper is always better, but definitely want the best quality I can get.
Please advise.
Thanks!

I’ve never cared for powered speakers, but that’s just me. I prefer separates as they expand better if/when needed.

If it were me, I’d start with a simple 15” main, a small rack mount power amp, and a regular mixer that can sit on top of the rack (use Velcro so all stays in place). When done, put the mixer back inside the rack case. One low cost simple combo would be a Carvin 15” main and Carvin DCM150 amp. Each cost about $200 or so.

The Yamaha MG10/2 Stereo Mixer is a very good small mixer (I have one) and Behringer also has a number of small mixers for less than $100.

The Lexicon is a good unit, but knob based. I prefer units that are fully digital, as recalling a preset is then just about goof proof. The Alesis MidiVerb4 is about the same price and many others are similar.

Forget the CD player and go with an iPod. Smaller, quicker and carries thousands of songs. You can create multiple playlists for each type of job.

Ed

I'd say go for one of the smaller Yamahas. I owned a Behringer 1222FX-Pro and it was noisy as Hell, depending on use. I've used the smaller Yamahas, and they perform much better (the built-in effects are also much quieter).

Back