PA beginner to bars...where's the beef?

resurrected this thread....due to having great success.

the cable, mixer into the aux 400watt amp into a Radio Shack 15"piezotweeter cab (up off the floor about 3ft)....great improvements....very great :D

Now I came across a old Peavy SP2 speaker cab at a Pawn Shop and wonder will that make a volume difference to the Radio Shack 60watt speaker cab?

RS is rated at 60watts and the $185 Peavy SP2- Pawn Shop is rated at 400-600watts....

is this a good upgrade or waste of money?

thing about the pawn shop is the trade factor, and I know they'll come down in price because they usually do the 2xPrice thing from what they pay for it. Like GC does...

About the worst thing you can risk, PA-wise, is under-powering your speakers. That is, using a too-small power amp to drive them. The problem comes in when you want more volume, so you crank the power amp to clipping. The dirty signal thus sent to the speaker(s) destroys them in almost no time. Now, if you don't drive your power amp to clipping, you will be fine, but the temptation is almost so great, that sooner or later, everyone does it if their system is mis-matched thusly.

Oh, wait, your power amp is not 65 watts- the rat shack speaker is. You should be okay. The RS speaker may not, though.

The Peavey SP2 would be a huge improvement. The horn is what reproduces the frequencies that are the most important for vocal intelligibility. A piezo tweeter just doesn't have the power handling or the throw of a horn.

The Peavey SP2 would be a huge improvement. The horn is what reproduces the frequencies that are the most important for vocal intelligibility. A piezo tweeter just doesn't have the power handling or the throw of a horn.

Agreed. The SP2 is a decent cabinet that can grow with you as well. It will most likely be more efficient than the RS it's replacing...plus if you do wind up grenading the horn with clipping, the diaphragm is ridiculously easy to replace on them. I'd get it in a heartbeat.

this is good news , I can trade on this SP2 also, which is a big help.
maybe tonight. It'll be interesting to hear the difference.

yes, this is a small yammie mixer into a 400watt Ross-amp head into a spkr-cab..
PA is for vocals only.

my mistake the one they have is a SP2 ti........not the SP2 which appears to be an upgrade. The $195 for 1 speaker is way overpriced.

appears the ti is from the 90's.....I might offer them $40 or $50 for 1....but a lot of posts are about blown tweeters?

appreciate great inputs.

Back