outgrown my studio monitors?

supafly

Three years ago I bought the Presonus Eris E5 monitors, with a KRK subwoofer, and they've done great up until now.
Recently I'm finding it hard to mix accurately.
I play it through my iPhone, car speakers, M-Audio crappy speakers and portable speaker and I hear some frequencies standing out. I wish I had a source of truth that highlighted frequencies without me having to resort to listening through all of these other smaller speakers.
My room is treated.
What I've been wondering recently is, is it my reference monitors that are letting me down? If I spend a few K on better monitors would I be able to pick out those frequencies without resorting to listen across all devices?

I mainly make electronic style music.

what else could it be?

monitors and room...

Maybe some good Open Back headphones and a nice headphone amp would be a good addition too for Mix checks.

The Reference Tracks matching up ok to your mix...er vice-versa?

My thought is that your monitors are doing their job of presenting an objective sound. The car speakers and etc. are hyping frequencies because that is what they do. You are hearing the hyped frequencies because your ear is getting better!

Matt B

the work of playing through other systems is interesting read, the old Gold Star Studio article said how they would send a disc to the radio station play it once over the air and while they listened to it playback over a car speaker, would then run in an make corrections and then re-press a disc.

I think the auratone was the first big step in just using a small "car speaker" to simulate all that, and just listen in the control room.
The later years as HiFi took over and stereo became the norm, things changed obviously, and NS-10 story happened. Seems kind of the same concept with a goal to have a typical "end user" playback check monitor set.

with this concept for 2020 continuing, what is the "end users" playback system today?
earbuds and a Smart phone music system?
is anyone even buying home-hifi systems anymore? I don't know.

seems computers and DAC/Headphone amps and headphones, earbuds are very common....portable music! like the Sony Walkman started! has grown.
car radios and yet even a lot of cars don't have CD players anymore its all Bluetooth, right?

if I made a mix today, for my kids 30yrs younger, it would be
1) MP3
2) checked on earbuds, maybe a few earbuds
3) checked on some small speakers
4) maybe even crappy laptop speakers that suck really bad and have no bass

the point is they don't have $1500 monitors or a set of BeyerDynamic headphones with a Grace Design headphone amp....they use earbuds most the time.
and almost all their music is stored on a smart phone or harddrive.

my son collected vinyls as a novelty only thing, a vibe, as he said, but definitely not in a Audiophile environment like the 1970's were with great amps and speakers and expensive turntables.

anyway, excuse my rambling.....

you might want to spend a couple dollars for fun and have someone Master a few of your songs and see what you think.
someone else...not you...someone elses ears and gear.
it would be interesting. maybe?

I can highly recomend any of Genelecs GLM range. Depending on budget. I recently got the 8330 with 7050 sub and the glm measurement mic kit. The room correction is amazing and my mixes sound exactly (within reason) the same everywhere. They are well worth the money - proper bits of professional kit.

---------- Update ----------

I can highly recomend any of Genelecs GLM range. Depending on budget. I recently got the 8330 with 7050 sub and the glm measurement mic kit. The room correction is amazing and my mixes sound exactly (within reason) the same everywhere (earbuds , blue tooth speakers, PAs, hi end hifi - it all works) . They are well worth the money - proper bits of professional kit.

Back