Opinions on planet waves cables?

jamtheguitarman

Hi

What are everyone's opinion's on these cables?
How much of a difference is there between the 3 different types of cable?

I almost lost a Planet Waves cable to a $2000 Martin guitar. The dang thing would not come out. Even with one person pulling as hard as he could on the guitar while I pulled the cable.

I almost lost a Planet Waves cable to a $2000 Martin guitar. The dang thing would not come out. Even with one person pulling as hard as he could on the guitar while I pulled the cable.
Yesterday 23:22

is that a good thing

Ummm no...that's not a good thing. Some Planetwave 1/4" cables are oversized for a tighter fit in the jack. This can make a better connection or get stuck.

I wasn't aware of the different connectors, but this cable had gold tips at least. Maybe avoid those ones?

Tips-connectors, im in the wrong. i assumed the tips were the connectors, dont know much about cables. anyhow, theres ones with gold TIPS and ones with silver tips. gold ones are are more expensive.

Also. if i had a gold planet waves mic cable, 2 gold planet waves speaker cables and then a hosa 1m cable to connect my preamp to soundcard. would that hosa cable degrade the sound quality. its just these planet waves cables are a bit pricey.
Thanks
Jamie

As long as the ends are connected properly, the cable will NOT degrade the signal. The reason for buying (or making) better cables is in the integrity of the shield and the quality of the soldering. All conductors act the same.

jamtheguitarman said:
so will their be much of a difference between those two different cables

No-gold connectors are a marketing scheme, as far as I am concerned. People's problems with Hosa are about reliability, not sound quality. In a studio, where they don't get abused, they will be fine.

Actually, I have had quite a few Hosa cables go bad just sitting in a rack never touched. I would avoid all molded connectors:)

I love Planet Waves cables-- at least in comparison to Monster.

If you compare the quality between the two, I think Planet Waves is the clear winner. Maybe Monster is getting better, but a couple years ago I compared Planet Waves and Monster cables. Monster cables just appeared to be plain old generic cables that are made to look a little more "flashy." They didn't appear to have any extra strain relief or anything like that-- just a generic over-priced cable.

Planet Waves cables have double molding, double shielding, and double insulation. To me, that means a better cable.

I agree that a downside is that Planet Waves cables cannot be repaired. BUT they do supposedly have a lifetime warranty (I haven't tested that yet-- haven't need to). So, in theory, you can just send them your bad cable and they will replace it with a new one. Of course, this would be a problem if you are in a time crunch.

Yes, Planet Waves are kind of expensive (check Ebay, you can get good deals). But if I'm going to buy expensive cables, I would much rather buy Planet Waves than Monster!

Learn to solder and make your own. It's cheaper and you can fix them if they go bad. I'll only use molded cales for my patchbay.

i just found out that active monitors shouldnt use speaker cables. im guessing a couple of normal 5 foot 1/4trs cables will do then?

Back