Opinions About Harware Effect Prcessors Vs. Software/Computer Stuff

Mike Freze

I have a lot of outboard effects processors (mostly foot pedal kind of things because I play guitar and bass): compressor, distortion, phaser, flanger, chorus, etc. You know the routine. I also have a DigiTech multi-effects foot pedal processor: gating, limiting, built in drum machine, amp simulators, the whole works.

I like what I hear and it's great for live performances without having to screw with hauling a computer along for the software synths, VST instruments, whatever.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better to record with (the real hardware stuff or software synths)? I mean if you already have lots of the hardware at home. Some people go soft synths, VST instruments, midi because they don't have (or can't afford) all the other goodies or don't have the room space for it. I also have a great Fender Music Man twin reverb tube amp, a Crate amp system, great mics, a great guitar bass amp, and great real instruments. If one has all that, is it usually going to be a better recording to use all that or is it still better to dump it all and go computer and software?? I know editing via midi/computer/software synths has its advantages, but I'm talking about pure, raw recording sound at the beginning of the recording chain.

Mike Freze

Use. Whatever. Works.

99.995% of your listeners don't know squat about what's used. The sound is the only thing that counts.

(BTW: I use an RP355 myself)

Back