online shopping rant

Shazukura

I love to shop online. Sort of.

I love being able to shop without moving my lazy arse, mostly, I guess. I'm a well trained consumer and I prefer instant gratification, though, so waiting for UPS really stinks. :) :) :)

But seriously, what I think I really like about online shopping is the wealth of information available. From technical info direct from the manufacturers, to professional and amateur review and more. But to get back to the point at hand (the reason I started this thread....) I've just had a bit of a fumble this most recent time I shopped online:

---

I couldn't find any local stores carrying SCSI CDRW. Heck, the toad sales-guy at the local CompUSA said, "I can't even remember the last time I saw a SCSI disk. We have USB. Have a nice day!"

---

Suddenly, shopping for a CDRW online seemed like a good idea.

I was quite perplexed though. Once I found what seemed to be a resonable CDRW (PlexWriter 12/10/32s External) and thouroughly checked the available information (from multiple vendors) I was convinced the CDRW didn't come with a cable; Every online sale of a CDRW everywhere I was looking stated, "comes with USB cable. Comes with Software." This CDRW, that CDRW, "Comes with USB cable", "comes with USB cable".

I looked again and again. Plextor 12/10/32s External. "Comes with Software". Huh? No Cable? those cheap #@$^@&)$!

---

If I recall corectly, they even stated that the internal had a jumper for termination, but didn't mention that the external has a dipswitch for internal termination. So anyhows.... I end up figuring out I need a 50HD - 50HD cable, and terminator (or so I think) and ordering those too.

Low and behold, the CDRW arrives, and inside is a cable that Plextor included with the drive, and on the rear of the drive case is a dip switch with a termination toggle.

---

Sheesh.

That's probably my worst online shopping experience. I'm sure other's have had it worse, tell me about it!

---

-Shaz

Oh GREAT!, Now Camus wants to go and get all *practical* on me. Sheesh!

J/K

Like I said, every drive I looked at, and from every merchant, said it came with a cable except the PlexWriter I chose. Next time around however, yes -- I think calling or emailing would be in order :)

-Shaz

I haven't really had very many bad experiences shoping online. Usually things go pretty smooth. Although those bastards at Sam Ash still haven't sent me a catalog (it's been six years and counting)...but then my problems with them started back in the telephone ordering days.

Back