The Official BOSS BR-800 Thread

TBOF

Okay, so I recently bought a BOSS BR-800 digital recorder and started producing my music with it. I decided to create this thread for those of you who are interested in this cool little recorder, to let you know what you can and cannot do with it. The main purpose of this thread is to share songs that are entirely recorded, mixed and mastered using the BR-800 only and without any use of a DAW. With every song I post, I'll try to give as much technical details as possible.

Anyone working exclusively with a BR-800 is more than welcome to post their songs in this thread as well.

Technical notes:

I usually record a guitar riff / rhythm guitars or bass first over a looping drum pattern. The drum arrangement with the fills and all is usually done later on the BR-800 (yes, it has a built in rhythm arranger). The BR-800 has a lot of insert, loop and master effects. I try to use as many as possible. I also use a Vox Tonelab LE multi-effects processor for guitar effects. The bass is usually plugged right into the BR-800's front guitar/bass input and I use internal bass effects. I sometimes will use a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal straight to the front (bypassing all effects) or an Ampeg Portaflex head (XLR -> XLR) when I want a little more caracter in tone. I also run a Korg Karma workstation into inputs 1-2 of the BR-800 for keyboards and synth sounds. The main guitars I use are a Les Paul Custom, a Fender AM Stratocaster (SSS), a homemade Strat with a single (hot) humbucker, a Telecaster (SS) and a Danelectro 59-DC reissue. The single coil guitars and (Jazz) bass are usually ran through a Electro-Harmonix Humbugger before going into the BR-800.

Making music with the BR-800 only is a real challenge and it can sometimes be really tempting to go to a DAW, but with all the virtual tracks available (64) on the BR-800, there are a lot of possibilities. The BR-800 is really easy to use.

I hope you enjoy this thread.

NOTE: None of these songs are for sale and I am in no way endorsed by ROLAND/BOSS for promoting this product. This thread is intended for amateur music producers and lovers - just like me !! ;)

Here's a first song to start this thread:

Blue Eyed Girl by The Best of Fools

Technical notes:

Track 1 : Bass - Fender jazz bass --> BR-800 G/B input (P68 Punk patch)
Track 2 : Lead guitar - Fender SSS Strat --> Vox Tonelab LE (custom patch) --> BR-800 input 1/2 (Mono)
Track 3/4 : Right guitar - Fender SSS Strat --> Vox Tonelab LE (custom patch) --> BR-800 input 1/2 (Stereo)
Track 5/6 : Right guitar - Fender SSS Strat --> Vox Tonelab LE (custom patch) --> BR-800 input 1/2 (Stereo)
Track 7/8 : Synth - Korg Karma --> BR-800 input 1/2 (Stereo)
Drums : BR-800 - Custom arrangement (P2 / STD 2 kit)
BR-800 EQ on tracks 1-6

Hey TBOF!
There's a whole section on this forum for Roland/Boss users! I use the 800's predecessor, the BR600 for my first CD. Of course home recording was a learning curve coupled with using the Boss and learning its limitations as I went along.
Now I'm using Reaper as my DAW, recording is so much more rewarding. Just automation alone improves things!

LOL !!! You're right, Mike. I posted this thread in the wrong section. Is there any way this thread can be moved? So sorry about this. In my defense, I'm a newbie to this forum (under 20 posts) !! :D

I have just Bought a Boss Br800 and am getting some Great Results with it. But can someone tell me how I chop up a Recording?
e.g. Take 2 Tracks out a Live Gig Recording and make them a New Song. Cheers.

Don't ask the same question in multiple places on this forum. It's been answered over in the Newbies section.
And there is already an 'official Boss BR800' thread in the Roland-Boss section of these forums.

Hello, everyone. I bought a BR-800 almost a year ago and has been recording eversince. Using the software that came along with it as I can add as many tracks as I want. Figured out quite a lot of things to be able to record my songs.

Now I would like to record an MP3 instrumental file (not mine) from my computer onto one of the tracks. So I could sing over it. Anyone knows whether it's poosible? Highly appreciate your tips.

Back