NS-10's, Monitor 1, or CM-80

guitarplayer

I can't decide and I need some advice. I need to get some monitors. I currently am using a pair of high end Cerwin Vega speakers as monitors. I record into either a TASCAM 488 or computer. I also use a POD, Midiverb4 and various effects. Music is mostly instrumentals w/some vocals. Style of Acoustic Alchemy.

Do I need monitors? If such, I've looked at Yamaha NS-10's, Alesis Monitor One's and Cerwin Vega CM80's. The first 2 are 4 ohms and the CV's are 8 ohms. Amp is either going to be an Alesis, a Carvin or a Samson. Amp first or then monitors?

Man this is so confusing. I have to buy it a piece at a time.

Thanks for your help.
Guitarlayer

Hey guitarplayer:
Here's my 2 cents:

Yamaha Ns-10 over Alesis ones, anyday, hands-down...
Cerwin-Vega specializes in good home speakers, but would not recommend them for home recording applications.
Yamaha NS-10's are found in the world's top studios, great flat response. Alesis Monitor One's are not..More of a nice "starter-kit" monitor.
DJ
P.S- I would get the monitors first. You can always use a basic home stereo amp until you get a better one.

HAve you considered the Event's? Event 20/20's are marvelous- better than the Monitor Ones. They are defintly well worth their price.

-jhe

The NS-10s REALLY BLOW... they're in every studio in the world as a secondary reference to get "...an average consumer sound system..." perspective, NOT because they are so flat, or accurate or any of the other characteristics people attribute to them.

No matter what kind of monitors you buy, you will need to spend a lot of time learning what they sound like so you can properly translate mixes to other systems. If you're on a budget go for Yorkville YSM1 - much better than the Alesis... for higher budgets, someone else recommended Event 20/20 - which are a good choice. Roger Nichols (Steely Dan engineer ++) swears by Meyer. But what really counts though, are YOUR EARS, not someone else's opinion.

Carefully audition a whack of them and choose based on what you feel comfortable with.... and hey, if it turns out you like the NS-10s, use them!

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

[Edited by bvaleria on 08-30-2000 at 10:59]

Ummm..They don't blow.
They are in every major studio because they are an excellent close reference monitor.

Nuff said on that.

I agree, the Event 20/20's are an excellent choice as well.

Regarding the Yorkvilles..Why rag on the NS-10 for your perceived lack of flatness, when the Yorkville is even less so in the flatness frequency area?

Dougie Johnson said:
Ummm..They don't blow.
They are in every major studio because they are an excellent close reference monitor.
*buzz* Wrong... they are NOT an excellent anything - very honky midrange, bass shy, and dull yet piercing highs - FAR from flat. Check out the EQ forums (especially Roger Nichols' forum) and posts to R.A.P. (rec.audio.pro) and you will find that most people share that opinion.

Er, come to think of it - a lot of people here share that opinion too - check out this thread: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=13783

Believe me - I've tried hard to mix on them. I bought them way back 10 years ago because I naively assumed that since all studios use 'em, they must be good - truth is that most of the time, as I said before, they're only a secondary reference. I could never listen very long without getting real tired ears, so I sold them off in favor of Events (I couldn't come up with the $5000 for the Meyer's). One of the best decisions I ever made.

Originally posted by Dougie Johnson
Regarding the Yorkvilles..Why rag on the NS-10 for your perceived lack of flatness, when the Yorkville is even less so in the flatness frequency area?
The Yorkvilles don't have honky mids and they have a much more pleasant high end. Also, your ears won't fatigue after 8-hour mixdown sessions...

In the end, like I said in my original post - peoples' opinions don't matter - what counts is listening, finding monitors you like hearing, then learning how to translate mixes on them... that's really ALL that counts...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

[Edited by bvaleria on 08-31-2000 at 12:44]

I've listened to both of these monitors, too..
I don't go off someone elses words or ears.
The Yorkvilles have an enhanced Bass to them.
Not only did I hear that with my ears, they even mention this in their ads.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I picked up the Monitor Ones last night. I pick up the amp tomorrow. I plan on using them weekend and go from there.

Thanks again!
GP

Back