noise suppressor on a pa?

I always thought feedback was volume induced, or not using the correct volume for the room size?

have you tried turning it down?

hope you get a lot of responses, interesting phenomena feedback is.

added this:

If you are setting up a sound system and want to avoid feedback, there are a few general rules that can help you avoid the problem:

* Make sure the speakers are in front of the microphone and pointing away from the microphone. If the speakers are behind the microphone, then feedback is nearly guaranteed.
* Use a unidirectional microphone.
* Place the microphone close to the person who is speaking/performing.
* If you have access to an equalizer, dampen the frequencies where feedback is occurring.

Last edited:
A noise suppressor most likely would not help your feedback issues in the least. Typically, your feedback will be at a higher level than other things you need heard, and more often then that will be at the same time that other things need to be heard. This is two big reasonsd why the noise suppressor would not help you out. I guess technically it could get rid of the feedback, but then it would also get rid of everything else that you need heard.

Yea, a noise supressor wouldn't do much. Let's say you have a channel with a mic running into it, and then out to the PA. If you place a noise supressor on that channel, it would shut the channel off when you aren't singing into the mic. When you start to sing, the noise supressor would open up the channel, and any frequency prone to feeding back would be projecting at the same volume as everything else.

Beyond placement (which doesn't always fix this problem), you could try putting a paramteric EQ on the channel, and fiddling with that until you find the narrow range that is feeding back, and then cut that frequency down.

To get more accurate yet more complicated, you could pickup a feedback supressor, but I figure you were just curious since you had the NS-2 sitin around.

Back