No point of monitors without a good room?

...On high frequencies. They leave low and mid to boom though.

I don't doubt it, but I haven't had that issue in my space.

Johnny Cash was recorded by Rick Rubin in a livingroom with Persian carpets draped around!

For monitoring, I think a lot of expense can be saved (and perhaps impossible expectations left aside) by simply monitoring mixes at lower to mid volume, with the monitors placed away from weird corners, or not too close to walls. I doubt my space is anywhere near perfect, but I can successfully record/mix for professional broadcast without having spent more than $50. for "treatment.

I don't doubt it, but I haven't had that issue [bass problems] in my space.

Wanna bet? :D

I've never seen a domestic size room that didn't need plenty of bass trapping. Have you ever measured your room's LF response? Try it, you'll see.

--Ethan

Wanna bet? :D

I've never seen a domestic size room that didn't need plenty of bass trapping. Have you ever measured your room's LF response? Try it, you'll see.

--Ethan

I'm sure you're correct. I used the mover's bankets to effectively knock down weird reflections on vocals. In my case, my monitors can't get much below 50hz anyway, so I use headphones to ensure the deep bass I want is there, and while I know this is a severe compromise, it's worked for me in various situations and applications. My old-school perspective recalls the days of Criteria Recording Studios where the BeeGees mixed most of their hits on really cheap small monitors (because that's what most consumers had).

I don't doubt it, but I haven't had that issue in my space.

Johnny Cash was recorded by Rick Rubin in a livingroom with Persian carpets draped around!

For monitoring, I think a lot of expense can be saved (and perhaps impossible expectations left aside) by simply monitoring mixes at lower to mid volume, with the monitors placed away from weird corners, or not too close to walls. I doubt my space is anywhere near perfect, but I can successfully record/mix for professional broadcast without having spent more than $50. for "treatment.
I agree that for tracking then any dampening can help(reduce "echo") even thought you'll still have the same bass problems. But for mixing, it's not a good idea.

Mixing at quieter volumes removes the room a bit, but causes it's own problems. At lower volumes bass frequencies sound higher and high sound lower. A famous test was done where they played two notes at low volumes and they crashed terribly, but at higher volumes they were in perfect harmony.

Thanks Man, Now I feel ripped-off. lol. :D
Cheers,
Hah! sorry about that. I doubt you were ripped off, i just found a great deal, half by accident though. It depends what product you buy also. OC703 is a lot more expensive than other similar products.

anybody know how the roxul rockboard 60 compares to OC 703?
It's very simple. There is a great site, bobgolds, which has a huge list of absorption coefficients.

If it doesn't have the one you want, search for the stuff you want and they should have tech specs/data. Open this and it might contain coefficients. If it doesn't then you should contact the company and ask for them. If you don't find coefficients, don't buy that product.

That product seems to have better coefficients than OC701/3/5!

Back