New and needing help!!

TaylorMan_SC

First off..thanks for helping a noob.

I have a Behringer PMP1000 with the U- Control USB connector.

Is the U-controller just as good as say a M-audio Mobile Pre for connections to the laptop. I am looking for a good connection to record Acoustic guitar and Vocals.

Is the Behringer going to do what I want or should I buy a new mixer and interface?

All you should need is an preamp/interface...the straight to USB thing hasnt been done up to standards yet...and Behringer is the worst company to buy from...unless you need a paperweight.

ok..let me ask this if I may.....This is the set up I was thinking....Guitars and Mics into mixer.....mixer into interface.....interface into PC....first off is this wrong....second off the interface I am currently using is the behringer U-control...should I be using something else or a total different set up?

I think what you've got already will work. Don't know what kind of quality you will get.

If you're looking to buy something new and are just doing acoustic guitar and vocals, you don't need a mixer at all. Even if you're going to do more than acoustic and vocals, I still say you don't need a mixer. For just acoustic and vocals, a two channel USB interface will work nicely. I'm not sure what that Behringer U-Control interface is. A quick glance and it looks like it only does RCA jacks. That will probably hook up to your powered mixer through an aux out or something, but who knows how well it will sound.

There's lots of options for you to choose from. Check out the link below as a starter. I'd say start looking at the Lexicon as the cheapest, then upwards.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

Depends on what you want to do. You're basically looking at a mic, mic preamp, and analog to digital converter. A lot of USB interfaces combine most of those into a single interface. And are perfectly capable of CD quality stereo captures. It depends on what you want. And what quality you're needing on the end result.

I have a mobile pre (I had two at one time), and it's decent. But you could do better. I like my Korg MR-1000, and it smokes the mobile pre. But it's not an interface per say. And I needed it for other reasons, portability / battery life / reliability.

Last edited:
Back