New Monitor Question - New Room Size?

MoBettaBlues

I am currently recording and mixing in an untreated 10x12 room. Carpet on the floor. I am using my first set of monitors, Resolv 65a's. Needless to say, the outcome is not fantastic for more reasons than just room and monitors.

Now, I am going to be moving once the house sells. Not sure yet where or what my new room size will be. It will probably be room in a basement or even another small bedroom. Sound proofing is not critical for me since I am not micing loud amps or instrunments. Good mixing acoustics will be important. I know that room treatment will need to be tops on my list.

This being said, should I go ahead and invest in some better monitors so I can get some better results until I move or wait and then determine which monitors to get. Whatever room I do use, it will not be huge. If it's in a basement it will probably be 10x14 or so. Maybe bigger if I'm lucky but not a lot bigger.

My current budget for monitors is approx. $800. I'm interested in hearing our advice on this. Also, if I should save some more and spend a little more on monitors, let me know.

Thanks!

:DYo Mo-Better-Blues::cool:

Your choices, with your budget, are indeed huge. I'm on my 4th set of monitors. I started out on the low end and moved up to the higher priced spread. I use the Adam A7s. Very nice monitors. I don't anticipate having to buy monitors for a LONG time. You should definitely give a good look at the A7s which run 1K and you should be able to wangle free shipping, "if you ask for it," from Full Compass.

I've read of some folks getting these monitors for a little less by buying something else. But, the price is pretty firm for the most part. And, they are "active" monitors.

I record direct into a Yam 1600 which has some good mastering tools to push up the "width" of sound--comes out on the CD with good quality--not just "loud" but rich. But, there is a bit to learn about its operation and functions as with any recorder.

One can spend large bundles of cash for monitors but for the money, the Adam A7s do a very nice job. And, I haven't even messed with the dials on the monitors--out of the box, plugged in, and nice clear sounds.

Stay loose,

Green Hornet:D

Yeah if you can stretch another couple hundred, the A7's are a great bang for the buck. I don't see me outgrowing these for quite awhile. And don't let the size fool ya. These things kick.

As far as your room, you might, at least, consider some bass traps. I'd think 4 would give you a good start. Put a pair in the corners to each side of your mixing station and the other 2 behind you in corners.

I don't think (imho) you'll ever get the best out of any monitors until you have room treatment. If their claim is that they're a flat response speaker, you won't get flat with an untreated room. I tracked and mixed for 2 years before I treated my room. If I had to start over, that's one of the first things I'd do.

Food for thought mang.........peace

Cheap PC speakers...$29.95

If you can make it sound good in pc speakers, it'll sound good anywhere.

Back