Need a small multitrack recorder

nkjanssen

I want a compact multitrack for jotting down song ideas. My requirements are minimal: 2-channel record, 4 total tracks. The simpler the better (i.e. I don't want to have to navigate a lot of menus). The smaller the better. The quieter the better (i.e. compact flash - no drives, no fans). Here's the only catch - I need 2 XLR microphone inputs. That rules out most of the really small "pocket" recorders. I'd like to go digital, rather than cassette tape. USB file transfers would be great.

From a quick search, it seems that the Fostex MR-8 may be the only recorder that fits the bill. Is there any competition for the MR-8 that meets my requirements?

someone is selling the mr8 in the used ad section.
I dont know much about it It would be iffy for retail price, but used it might be a deal. It has 2 record tracks and 8 total tracks,usb, I think it has everything you want.

I know more about tascam dp01 my friend has it and it kicks ass, but thats about $600. You might be better off just going interface,soundcard way, because you can upgrade part by part, instead of being stuck with the same setup.

dirtyp said:
You might be better off just going interface,soundcard way, because you can upgrade part by part, instead of being stuck with the same setup.

I already have a full-blown computer-based studio. This is just to give me a really simple and portable setup for songwriting purposes.

keep in mind the mr8 doesn't have phantom power
i wouldn't pay more than $100 for one. i can't remember how much i sold mine for..

treymonfauntre said:
keep in mind the mr8 doesn't have phantom power

Good point. I forgot about that. I'd definately like to have phantom. That Zoom thing looks interesting. I'd prefer something a little more MR8-ish, though, with a real mixing surface (even if only 4 faders). Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't quite exist yet.

cortexx said:
I have a pretty much unused MR8-HD for sale if your interested shoot me a private message ;)

I don't really want a hard drive. I'd rather have less storage and dead-quiet operation.

After a little more checking, I guess the MR8 mkII has phantom. Maybe that's the way to go for a songwriting scratch pad. A few people have commented, though, that the MR8 isn't worth retail price, or isn't worth more than $100 used. Presumably some of you have had negative experiences with them. Anyone care to share those experiences? Is it just a question of features, or are they unreliable or noisy? Maybe I should be posting this in the Fostex forum.

MR8MKii

If you can't make a fine recording with the MR8 MKii the problem won't be the equipment. For $250. new you won't beat it. Get a Studio Projects B1 condensor, or CAD 177, and you'll be all set. Use your PC for final edits and mixdowns.

...just looking for an update to this question that someone posted a few months back. I didn't see anything new come out at NAMM that would give the MR8mkII a run for its money. Any new "scratchpad" type recorders hit the market in the last few months? If not, I'll probably go with the Fostex.

Boss BR-600

I came very close to buying an MR8 MkII. I had planned on it for some time and went to buy it when I saw a Boss BR-600 so stopped to do some research on it. It is about $150 more at approx. $400 street price but very much worth the extra. You get many many more features such as 8 virtual tracks for ea. of the 8 tracks. There is also a programmable drum machine function and a bass simulator. And it is small and flat - you can carry it around without fear of breaking off a knob. Your really should check it out. I wrote a really long review posted at the acoustic guitar forum. Take a look here - scroll down for my review (spread across several posts):

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90041

Buy a Korg D 16. You can get one for around $200 on ebay. It even has a touchscreen with waveform display. It's far better than most of the new multitrackers that have come out recently. This thing costed over a thousand dollars new.

Back