multitracks

MessianicDreams

hey everyone, im looking for an affordable multitrack digital recorder (my budget is <$500). firstly let me explain what i want it for: i want to use for compositional uses, and for pre-demo kinda work.

i've been look at the Fostex MR8, Fostex VF80, Tascam Pocketstudio 5 and the Boss BR-532. getting second hand equipment is a bit of a problem (i live in switzerland, so most products on e-bay cant be sent here :(
i especially like the Fostex VF80, cause it has loads of space. i'm not too sure about the memory sticks, as they dont have much space on them, and to buy bigger ones is expensive.

could you guys suggest any other small multitracks like the ones mentioned above? are there any other alternatives (i'm a complet newbie!!)?? right now i'm probably gonna go for the VF80, but i'm kinda worried about the lack of simultaneous tracks that can be recorded - 2 seems rather limited.

cheers,

MD

Last edited:
Well: for "compositional" and "pre-demo" type of work, I wouldn't think a limit of two simultaneous recording tracks would be that much of a limitation. Then again, you may want something that's versatile enough to use for purposes beyond those included in your original intentions.

justinchannell----> my home pc isnt powerful enough and i think it would be too expensive to make it powerful enough. another thing is that i would want something i could take to my abnd practice, and generally something a little more portable than a pc!!

sjjohnston----> ok i'm a newbie, and i'm not too sure what's available. did you have anything specific in mind??

thanks for your help guys, i really appreciate it!
cheers,
MD

I have no basis for comparison. I just know ( because I have one ) that the D8 is a fine little machine, very stable and sounds great. Some of the effects are pretty fair too. Has a digital out. It's perfect for songwriting. I stuck a 4 gig drive in mine and have an external scsi so I have enough storage for what I do. Only has the two inputs though. But I don't need more than 2 at present. I've been very pleased with mine. Sorry I can't give you more info for comparison purposes.

MessianicDreams said:
sjjohnston----> ok i'm a newbie, and i'm not too sure what's available. did you have anything specific in mind??

Not really. I wouldn't claim to know a lot about those boxes. My main thought is that if you're not recording a band, but just yourself (to work out songs and arrangements, or to make demos), being limited to recording two tracks at once probably isn't that significant a limitation.

ok thanks. just fyi the fostex has a 20gb HD as standard, with an optional CDR. it has 2xXLR input and 2xnormal (guitar) jack input, but it's 1 XLR and 1 jack for the first two tracks (2 tracks simultaneous recording like the Korg)

sjjohnston-----> yea that's what i'm starting to think too. and if i was to use it with my band, i wouldnt be looking for incredible quality. it would just be to hear what the band sounds like, whats going wrong etc. so 2 trakcs would be enough. the VF80 has 2 XLR inputs, so i could just set up 2 'ambience' (dont know if you can use that word in english - my mother tongue is french ) mics.

Back