multitrack recorders just under $1000?

:DYo Mort:

For just under 1k, you can get a Yamaha AW1600 multitracker. I use the 2816 and I recently got a 1600. The 1600 will burn a full CD in 9-11 minutes. Much longer with my older 2816.

Sound quality is very good on the 1600 as you also get some Mastering Algorithms to try.

Learning curve is medium, depending on your experience. The manual is decent; not GOOD, just decent. However, there is a dedicated site for the 1600 with very friendly talent and lots of help.

I don't work for Yam or sell gear. Just my HO. A decent pair of monitors will also help you get quality on your CDs.

Green Hornet:D

:DYo Mort:

For just under 1k, you can get a Yamaha AW1600 multitracker. I use the 2816 and I recently got a 1600. The 1600 will burn a full CD in 9-11 minutes. O. A decent pair of monitors will also help you get quality on your CDs.

Green Hornet:D

I had Black Lion mod mine. It will now record, master, and burn a full-length CD in 9-11 minutes. And make coffee.

Get Boss BR-600. It costs something like 300 bucks and is an amazing value for it's price.

:DYo Boingo:>]

Make coffee, huh? Pretty good mod. I don't allow drinks in my studio--too much of a chance some one will spill upon my gear. However, I usually have a Martini close by in the PM hours.

Green Hornet:rolleyes:

Multitrackers.

I was going to start a new thread, but it's related to this topic so I won't.

I have a plan of getting some portable gear together and recording band demos and shows. I was thinking of getting a Digi 003 rack and recording onto a laptop, but realized the slow speed of the hard drive might be a bottleneck, plus i'd have limited inputs (tough to mic drums on 4 preamps) and no faders. So now I'm thinking of a multitracker. I have much more experience with mixing boards than DAW software anyways.

My local shop has the following recorders available for ~$1000 CAN:

Zoom HD16-CD for $700
Roland VS2000CD for $1000
Yamaha AW1600 for $1175

All have 16 inputs (and 8 preamps). So does anyone have experience with any of these? Online reviews are scarce, and I'm not sure about any major differences between them - they all seem similar.

Thanks for your help!

I have a plan of getting some portable gear together and recording band demos and shows. I was thinking of getting a Digi 003 rack and recording onto a laptop, but realized the slow speed of the hard drive might be a bottleneck, plus i'd have limited inputs (tough to mic drums on 4 preamps) and no faders. So now I'm thinking of a multitracker. I have much more experience with mixing boards than DAW software anyways.

Zoom HD16-CD for $700
Yamaha AW1600 for $1175

All have 16 inputs (and 8 preamps). So does anyone have experience with any of these? Online reviews are scarce, and I'm not sure about any major differences between them - they all seem similar.

Thanks for your help!

I believe the Roland used to sell closer to 2k, so that's quite a bargain. Some people think Rolands are hard to learn, but they seem to put out very high end recorders.

If I were going as high as $1200 I might consider the Korg D3200 as well.

:DYo ZACK:

You should be able to get the Yamaha AW1600 for just under 1k.

Call Full Compass [free call] ask for Heather Paske; mention, "Ben said to call about...."

Ask for the free shipping availability--if one doesn't ask, one doesn't receive.

I've bought most of my gear from FC because they usually have the best price and major items ship free.

The other recorders mentioned probably do a good job too. Since I have the Yam 2816 sitting in a corner now, I can say the 1600 is MUCHO RAPIDO doing the CDs. It can burn a FULL CD in about 9 minutes.

And, there is the Dijohn site for specific help--very friendly site and very bright folks.

Green Hornet:cool:

:DYo Boingo:>]

Make coffee, huh? Pretty good mod. I don't allow drinks in my studio--too much of a chance some one will spill upon my gear. However, I usually have a Martini close by in the PM hours.

Green Hornet:rolleyes:

It also has the feature where if the song sucks it will not go into record mode.

:p

:cool:Ahh, Nicole:

Yea, verily, the Tascam unit you mention is a decent machine; however, when it first came out, it had some bad reviews, not high quality in some respects.

I had two Tascam 488s--still do remastering on songs I recorded on the 488. A very good machine; however, after a while, waiting for the tape to rewind got to be too much.

The AW1600 which replaces, for the most part, my 2816, can do a full CD burn in 9 minutes--2816 took over an hour. But, that's how those guys work; Yamaha puts out more models than American Idol.

Have a nice Spring in your unknown part of the world.

Green Hornet:p:D

any input at all
morty

My choice would be:

AW1600 -- $1000 on-line at www.americanmusical.com -- free shipping -- 1 year extended warranty. Also $1000 with free shipping and free headphones at musiciansfriend.com, but the site says its backordered. This unit and its predecessor the AW16G are very well regarded.

Tascam 2488mkII seems to be a good deal with 24 tracks for $800 on line, but there are those reported problems, many of them on the predecessor 2488 model, which was replaced by the mkII less than 2 years after it was released. I know a couple folks on-line who have had the 2488 for years with no problem.

Hmmmm

Multi tracks stand alones are great until they become out of date. Try finding a new hard drive or cd burner after you have had it for a few years. You will still want to be able to transfer files for back-up and mixing on a computer.

Ive decided on the zoom hd16

For the reason its getting great reviews every where, its got drums and bass lines which I prefer over doing my own
I already have cubase se3 so I can download the finished product on computer to convert it to mp3 if need be
but I like the fact that its user friendly, if you download the pdf file manual.
at the present I have 4 keyboards and 2 sound modules so I need the channels(not doing vocals just instrumentals)
Ive heard the zoom hd16 recordings and their awesome. 24 bit /16 bit
I cant really hear the difference for the dollar amount.
At Long&Mcquade the biggest music chain in canada said it was outselling the roland and yamaha
anyways Ill be getting it soon and Ill let you know and send an attachement of music done on it
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5192578&q=hi
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6204050&q=hi
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5570229&q=hi
these samples are done audio-out of my synthe to audio-in on my computer and it doest sound bad so imagine with a descent MTR
morty

Zoom HD16-CD for $700
Yamaha AW1600 for $1175

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
For the reason its getting great reviews every where, its got drums and bass lines which I prefer over doing my own
I already have cubase se3 so I can download the finished product on computer to convert it to mp3 if need be
but I like the fact that its user friendly, if you download the pdf file manual.
at the present I have 4 keyboards and 2 sound modules so I need the channels(not doing vocals just instrumentals)
Ive heard the zoom hd16 recordings and their awesome. 24 bit /16 bit
I cant really hear the difference for the dollar amount.

Unless it's an SACD or DVD-Audio, every CD you've ever heard is 16 bit. If you can't get a great recording from the Zoom, it's most likely your fault. :)

I've heard great things about the Zoom, so go for it.

Back