Monitors again!!!

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
I just did a search of this BBS and came up with a whole lot of discussion and few answers on the subject of monitors...
Tannoy reveals...Event 20/20...Alesis...How much does the poweramp factor into the sound? Can I buy a home stereo amp and power a decent set of studio monitors with it?
I'm looking to spend less than $500 on power and cone... Are powered monitors a better value or will I spend my money more wisely buying tannoy reveals and finding a good deal on a home stereo amp at Circut City?
I'm in a 10x10 room if that helps...

I love my Event 20/20 passives with my cheapo ($150) 60W receiver. The room size is 12x18
but I sit right between them about 2' from each one. They'll handle 150W no problem. If you're gonna push this envelope just be sure your amp can handle 4 ohms.

I bought Event 20/20p powered monitors about a year ago. I got them at Guitar Center for right around $500 , if I'm not mistaken. I liked not having to deal with a separate power amp. I think these monitors soung great, and wouldn't trade them for anything (ok well, almost anything).

One thing to note, though, if you get powered monitors, you'll want to make sure you have a way to turn down the actual power amp. The board I had at the time I bought these did not have a control room level knob ... so I had to rig a way to attenuate the signal before it got the the monitor. Otherwise, my ears would ring :)

Alesis M1 is a great monitor system. Not to be confused with their Monitor 1, these are powered and biamped after the crossover. I have heard these at a music store, with no other speakers near them to influence their sound and they are very sweet. Musicians Friend carries them for $499.99/pair. You will not find anything powered and biamped for that price with their sound. They deliver 100 watts each, which is plenty of power for most home and project studios.

I was wondering about Monitors with built-in power amp or seperate one.. My opinion is (I'm just a newbie.. just to let you know) I think the seperate one might be more versatile cuz you can still use your power amp with other speaker or other things that want amplifying.. What's your oppinion?

Back