Monitor Problem

Zthom

I'm hoping someone can help me trouble shoot an issue I am having with my monitor speaker. Currently, I have an set of Roland DS-50A's which are plugged into a MOTU 828. Yesterday, I noticed that the volume coming out of my right speaker was significantly lower than that in my left speaker. Additionally, the sound lacked any high end frequency and what was coming out of the speaker was muddy. I switched the speaker cable from the left speaker to the right and the sound was the same. I checked the cables and jiggled the connections to see if there was a short somewhere but nothing changed.

I have had this setup for about 3 years and haven't really changed anything except for the speaker cables which I purchased about 4 months ago. (They are monster cables.)

Should I assume that the speaker is on it's way out? Could it be a problem with the MOTU? (I have all the latest drivers etc..) Before I shell out for a new pair of monitors I'd like to see if anyone here has any ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Zach

Well, there are a couple ways of determing the problem - you sa you switched the cables...

Do you mean you switched them completely, or just swapped which output was going to each speaker?

Let's say you start off with the original configuration, and the Left speaker is causing the problem. First, switch the plugs coming out of the interface, but leave the speakers they are plugged into alone. If you switch JUST the output and the problem switches to the other speaker, then there is something wrong with the Left output in some way. If the problem remains in the Left monitor regardless of whether it is coming out the L or R output, then it is probably the speaker.

However, also completely switch the cables from speaker to speaker, at both the interface output and the monitor input, to determine if it is possibly the cable.

It should be easy enough to diagnose. Switch around the configurations, plug a different set of speakers into the MOTU (most stores will let you test new monitors in your listening room before buying them so you could take a pair home for an evening to test on your MOTO for free), plug your monitors into a different source, switch the cables, left and right channels, etc.

Back