Monitor Cables

Acousticles

Student Loans Fund Rawk
So I just got a pair of Tascam VL-X5's and they are my first pair of studio monitors; so, needless to say, I'm excited to use them. They use the Neutrik combo inputs (for either XLR or 1/4"). My Onyx Satellite has 1/4" outs for the monitors. The only 1/4" cables I have lying around are patch cables for my guitars. What kind of cables should I get to hook these up for good sounds quality?

Depending on whether the monitor outs on your mixer are balanced or unbalanced, use TS (for unbalanced) or TRS (for balanced) cables.

Yea, I know about balanced and unbalanced cables...I suppose I was wondering more about a brand of cables people use?

I think ppl put too much stock in brand. If the cable conducts, you get sound. If it doesn't, you don't. I'd lay anyone 10:1 that they couldn't tell the difference betw. a $50 monster cable and a 10 year old generic cord I have laying around my basement. I've tried, and I can't. I pay a little pay more for cables that have real solid ends for my guitar rig, or something that I set up and tear down a lot. I think the connections with the TS ends are the difference between cheap and expensive cables. Cheap ones get staticy if you mess with em a lot. But if I'm gonna set it up once an leave it forever, that's not an issue.

Yeah, don't sweat the brand. The first thing I'd look for in a cable is the quality of the connectors. You're looking for Neutrik, Switchcraft, or Amphenol. Cable by Belden, Mogami, Canare, Gepco, Redco, ProCo, Whirlwind...any of those will use quality connectors and be more than suitable for the job.

Best idea yet...get the pieces and roll your own!

I messed about with cables for guitars recently, and though I couldn't hear any difference really. and I think that may have been something else I heard when there was a subtle issue (like poor solder/connection)...

lets just say no difference was heard.

The connectors, more so than the cable, can be really well built or cheap crap you can easily bend, with poor solder jobs and loose fits.

I think like many things, if you do a small amount of homework you can get good product for the same price as the cheapest-quality product...and sound as good as a $150 cable.

at the same time a friend of mine tried out a $150 cable after reading a famous credible person speaking highly of a cable...he tried this $150, and took it back after comparing to his $20 cables.

Even though he had the money for this $150 cable (and numerous more), he said it was all bullshit and took it back.

I agree with Adam, the connectors and standard known cables will do you right....and they don't cost $150 each.

good luck....

Back