Monitor Cables

88fingers

Do monitors use the same kind of cables that most little home stereos use? (The really thin + / - cables that you have to either screw down or stick into those pincher slots?)

For passive monitors (without built-in amplifiers) use 12 gauge speaker wire. Your local music store probably has some in bulk: tell them how much you need (measure first) and you're on your way. Thicker gauge (lower #) wire is the equivalent of a bigger hose for water. It will sound better and increase the distance you can run it without losing high frequencies (but keep your runs short, of course).

For powered monitors, I use mic cables. Three connection ends (XLR, TRS) are better than 2 (TS, RCA).

So I'm planning on getting a set of the Yorkville YSM1 passives, and a Sansui integrated amp. That'll just use the regular 12-guage speaker wire you're talking about, right?

Right. Oh-so-right [did you know you can't enter a post under 10 characters long?]

Right.

hey ip.

Do you think it makes as difference what type(quality) Trs cables you use for the active monitors?
I mean what ive got on there isnt bad...
But would i hear more if i used some super great brand ya' think?

If you have good cables with robust connectors and intact shielding, you've got everything there is. You can make your own for not too much or you can pay Monster a small fortune for the same thing. Note that, in my experiece, Monster cables are as well made as any out there; it's just that you can do it yourself for a lot less.

Back