mixing desk advice & opinions please.....!!!

AndyB

Hey all....

I'm about to upgrade to a new mixer, to go with an alesis HD24.. so basically a 24 to 32 channel 8-buss mixer..
I've got a few choices, just wanted advice and opinions from people that have some of these different desks on sound quality, flexability etc.

The plan is to have all 24 channels connected up to the 24 tracks on the HD24 separately.. (and after some more time, add another 24 channels and a second HD24, to give 48 track recording and mixing). I'll be recording bands, for modest money, mostly punk/rock/metal/ska style bands, so not really dance music. I'm on a bit of a budget, and am looking to buy second hand. Want a desk that sounds good & warm (who doesn't ?!), and the abilty to do multi-track recording and mixing without having to re-patch much at all. As a comparison, i currently use a Soundcraft M12, and the channels on that do sound really nice. So... the choices...

Mackie 24:8:2
Soundcraft Ghost LE 24:8:2
Behringer mx8000 / mx9000 24:8:2 eurodesk
Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24:8:2

I know you can get an "extra" block of 24 channels to add on the mackie and ghost, making them better suited to future plans. but the more money i have left over, the more outboard gear i can afford to get !

Anyway, opinions please !!! thanks....

Another vote for the Ghost. I just bought a 24 LE and I can't believe the upgrade is sound quality. Everything that goes thru it sounds better, and the eq is the best I've used (although, I've never used any of the high-end eq's like Manley or Neve)

Back