Mixing Consoles

bcains

A few months back, i had decided to go for a mackie 24/8 (didnt end up purchasing one). But i've been reading reviews and i had a listen to one the other week and i generally dont like the pre amps in them at all.

As i have complete 2 certifcates in audio, i had the opportunity to get quite a lot practical work in the studio at the school, in which they had an old Allen and Heath and i really like the results i was getting. e.g warm, fuller sound.

Conclusion; I am continplating on wheather to get a old/used board e.g the Allen & Heath/Soundtracs or to go for a new desk like the Soundcraft Ghost.

What i need is atleast 24 channels + 8subgroup mixer, and i want to go analog (not an 8track stimulus digital desk).

Therefore asking for your opinion on either something like; Allen & Heath or the Ghost, or another option is the old Soundtracs.

P.S I realise these sorts of questions are asked every 10 minutes on this board, but i'm asking for your personal opinions/experiences with either of these boards. In the end its what sounds best to my ear, i know that.

Thanks in advance.
:)

I have a 32 channel Ghost and have been very happy with it. IMO, the pres are about the best you'll get in the price range and the EQ kicks butt as well.

Soundcraft ghosts aregoodsolid desks. There is nothing wrong with a ghost. However, the pres and the EQ on a ghost are nothing to write home about. They are solid and reliable. Not really clean, not reallytransparent, but not really that "colored" either. The EQ on a ghost is very usable, but once again nothing special. I feel like the Soundcraft Ghosts give you exactly what you pay for. You get a good amount of features, good reliability, and a decent sound all at a fiar price.

However, there are other consoles in the sameprice range as a Ghost that offer MUCH better sound quality, but less features. If you are after pure sound quality, than Midas is the by far the best of the brand new consoles in that price range as far as I am concerned. The next best sounding new consolein that price range in my opinion would be the Yamaha DM1000. The preamps on the yamaha DM consoles are really very nice, and the EQ is not far behind. As far as the Allen Heath GS3 form the first post, I would say that it too is about the same in quality as the Ghost, but definately has a different sound. The preamps are a little "warmer", but also a little noisier (which really should not be a problem 90% of the time, especially if using less than wonderful conversion and stuff or doing a lot of rock). Personally, due to the way I like to do things I would prefer the GS3 over a Ghost. However, I can also see how a ghost would be better suited to many other people.

If you look in the used market I have seen D&R consoles, Amek Big's, Angela's and Einsteins for about $6000 and less. You could also look into a TAC Scorpion, and maybe even a Matchless for similar money. You could get an MCI in pretty good shape, an old Harrison, and occasionally even a Neotek or an Otari console. I have even seen Trident 65's and soundcraft TS12's and the occasional TS24, or 6000's in that same price range. In my opinion any of those used desks would beat the pants off of a Ghost or a GS3 in terms of sound quality. SOme of them will even offer faders for the tape returns, seperate EQ's for them, 24 busses, and even integrated patchbays and/or VCA automation. Of course with a used desk there is the issue of maintenance, parts, and TLC.

Good luck:)

That's not a GS3, it's a GS3000 the one with the patchable valve pre's VERY nice sounding desk. It has variable Q on the swept mids as well as midi mutes and MMC. You'll find all the brochures and downloads HERE .I'd grab this desk over a Ghost any day of the week

LemonTree said:
That's not a GS3, it's a GS3000 the one with the patchable valve pre's VERY nice sounding desk. It has variable Q on the swept mids as well as midi mutes and MMC. You'll find all the brochures and downloads HERE .I'd grab this desk over a Ghost any day of the week

Thanks for the link.

I'll take a look at some of the other older Allen & Heath consoles.
Also was the D&R one mentioned the "Vision"?

Cheers :)

The Vision is one of the few D&R consoles out there that I really know absolutely nothing about. If you really have questions concerning D&R, I would call Paul at D&R direct. I was thinking more alongthe lines of a D&R Orion.

Back