Mixing Board troubleshooting

dwunder111

I have a Mackie CFX16mkll mixing board that is about 12 years old. Most of that time it has been stored in a climate controlled environment. It has been working fine everytime I use it but tonite I powered it up and a tremendous continuous popping sound was emitted. The volume faders wouldn't lessen it nor would disconnecting all the cords. I checked all other devices and even ran my computer thru the PA without the board to make sure the power amp etc were not the problem. I reconnected the board (using different cords) and it worked for about 30 seconds, then the continuous popping ensued. I can turn it off and back on and this same process occurs. Obviously something is screwed up in the mixer, the popping starts out at about 3 per second and gradually increases in frequency until its at 10-15 per second. Why does it work for a few seconds is what I'm wondering, if its blown it should be blown. Any ideas? Thanks

Doug

Is there any possibility that there is phantom power hitting somewhere it shouldn't be? Are the outputs of the mixer connected directly to the PA or is there something before it? A crossover network, another mixer, etc. -- I know it's a longshot, but this early, it's the only thing I can come up with.

Why does it work for a few seconds is what I'm wondering, if its blown it should be blown.

Heat. As it warms up, whatever is the cause gets worse. Or a bad capacitor. Or both.

Sounds like a bad power supply to the final stage amps. Yes, the board has amps, just not power amps like in a PA. If you are hesitant to open it yourself, you should find a technician who can repair it. I bet it is not an expensive repair if the guy has the right schematics and resources.

Honestly, a CFX is not a mixer I'd spend and time, money or effort fixing. By the time you get it working you might have spent half the resources needed to get a better mixer.

Yeah, it's probably a cracked solder joint somewhere that is intermittently resistive depending on temperature. That's not really a complicated thing to fix, but the time spent opening up the unit and either finding the bad solder joint or just resoldering everything is what will cost you.

Back