Matching mic/preamp build quality?

easlern

Boredom artist
Hi all- I've been listening to my mixes lately and wondering if there are any semi-easy ways to improve them by upgrading part of the input chain. Right now I'm using a Rodes NTK mic (my best mic so I'm concerned mostly with it) with an RNP preamp, going into a simple USB ADC (UAC202) that goes into computer. I'm not too worried about the converter since it seems like a simple enough piece of tech but I thought I'd put it on here in case I'm way off.

Of course the easy answer is replace them both with a C12 and a Great River or whatever but I gotta be real, I'm just looking to optimize things while staying in budget so I'm thinking of just upgrading one thing. :D

I'm wondering if I've matched the mic/pre well enough, judging by equipment class/price. My theory is it doesn't make sense to pair a super expensive mic with a cheap preamp because your signal is only gonna sound as good as your worst piece, and vise-versa. I don't know if that is true though, what are your opinions?

Thanks!

Is that the Behringer UAC202?

Beyond a certain point there is limited value to be gained from super-duper mega expensive high end converters in a home studio context - there are probably more imminent threats to sound quality than the converter (like poor monitoring environments etc).

That said, if it is the Behringer model you would be wise to replace it, it's pretty much the cheapest/lowest end/worst converter there is. It doesn't even have balanced inputs.

Back