magazines

guitarfreak12

hey I want to subscribe to a home recording/pro audio mag, but I don't know which one to choose, any suggestions? Which ones would gove more help to intermediate guys, thanx

I'd recommend :

Tape Op (free; great mag)
Mix (free to "pros"; very good mag)
Electronic Musician (free to "pros"; good mag)

Tape Op and Sound on Sound.

SOS is a UK mag which will be more expensive but for the home recordist it blows away the USA mags IMO. They have comprehensive gear reviews.

Get Tape Op no matter what, great mag.

Geez, Blue Bear - I never thought about that... Well, actually I did once...

Yeah, they kill you with the postage up there, eh?

Recording is a good magazine. Lots of helpful info in there.

Personally, I like MIX magazine. I think its probably geared more towards the high end, pro level studio. Not that I have one, but I like reading about them. :p

They always seem to have great articles by hot-shit famous AE's too, and its nice to gleen whatever you can from their ramblings.

SOS is a quality mag, our uni has a couple of subscriptions to it, so it's a race each month to get down and 'loan' them out from the library!!

I guess Tape Op's not free in the UK? Where do I find out about it?

No one beats Tape Op for useful information when it comes to recording without an SSL. Get Mix if you want, but it's not necessary, it's a pretty mag with decent reviews but very little practical info for someone who wants to start recording at home.

Later,
musik

How can I get those free magazines?

What loops do I have to jump through to get Mix and EM for free? I went to there sites to subscribe but it wanted me to pay. Is there a special site? Do you have to be recommended?

Thanks

Mongoo

Ok, I'll hand out a little secret about the magazine business.

Next time you go to an audio show like NAMM, or TAPEOP or maybe local shows. First, when you register, put your title as VP of Purchasing, President or CEO, even CIO. Go to the media booth where they hand out free copies of your favorite publication. When you fill out the little card (or they swipe your ID) also put your title as VP of Purchasing, President or CEO, etc.

They will start sending you free copies of the mag for 12 months or until you go to the next show.

Get EQ, even if you have to pay for it. Much more practical than Mix, who, BTW, Do Not give proffessional courtesy subscriptions. I have written to them. My scipt was in the studios name....nothin'

Back