M-AUDIO DX4 Monitors

Squiksilvery

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying M-AUDIO's DX4 active monitors for my tiny control room. Has anyone any experience with these monitors? If so, please comment... or recommend others around the same price range.

Thanks

I'd say wait and get something else.

Some basic's are needed like more wattage, and if its your only set probably a 6" driver is better. or a sub would help....

I heard these and their getting close to pc speakers sound.

Maybe some used KRK RP5's or M-Audio BX5's seem to be really bottom entry level into the decent arena. GC had RP5's for $99each the other day, so they maybe able to come down in price a bit. Maybe a demo model save you 30%.
I'd rather have dings and scratches and up the level.

never had the 4" at home though, so maybe you'd love them.

Agreed.

I bought a pair of DX-4s a couple of years ago while on vacation to play around with my laptop.

When I got home I put them on my keyboard where they work really well, but they are too small and bass-light for mixing.

Go up to at least a pair of BX-5s (I have BX-8s as my mains and they are great but I got them on a stupid sale at over half off the current price...)

i never tried them but the little tascam 2.1 system (the vl-s21 or something like that) is supposed to be pretty good in that $ range (i've seen them under $100 shipped). it's low wattage, but has a subwoofer. iirc it got a good writeup as a personal listening setup (vs. mixing) in tapeop.
again, ymmv-- i've never used it. i did have the vl-x5's before getting some adams and those were an excellent value for the $

DX4 are $150 pair.
Thats tough....for amp and speakers $150 is cracking the basement price.

Back