Low Budget Studio Monitors

Mish

So in a nutshell - I have a really-really small budget - I'm a student with 3-days per week part-time job, and all I can honestly spend on the studio speakers is something like 300 bucks at most. I need an advice - what should I do?

1) Get really cheap Behringer MS20 digital monitors (multimedia speakers really) for 200 and be happy with them

2) Get more expensive Samson 40a

or

3) Piss off my landlord by not paying the rent and get Yamaha HS50 :confused:

yes, i've seen that thread before and it made me want avantones too, but keep in mind the poster is a mastering engineer with a "professionally tuned" studio (mastering studios are generally treated extremely well) and he says in those posts that he checks his mixes on his other monitors which happen to be Barefoot Sound Mini Main 12 Reference Monitors. i would happily mix on a pair of computer speakers like bob clearmountain if i could check the mixes on monitors like that. in fact there are definite advantages to mixing on monitors that are very comparable to consumer speakers (ns-10's are popular for that very reason), but i'm not sure i would start out in an untreated room that way. i think you might be better of with decent nearfields, but that's just my very humble opinion.

i think you might be better of with decent nearfields, but that's just my very humble opinion.

I've read good reviews on MS20 and they are titled as "near field monitors" in the product description. Any opinion on that particular model?

if your choice is between those and the avantones, i'd definitely go for the avantones. at that price i'd look at the tascam vl series or for some wharfedale diamond 8.2 actives

Back