Looking For Suggestions For A Live Amp/monitor Setup

jalbert

I'm trying to put together a setup for performing live. It's just for me singing and accompanying myself on acoustic guitar. I want an amp that I can use for both my guitar and vocals. I'd like to be able to run a pickup from my guitar, an instrument mic(also for the guitar), and a vocal mic all right into the amp and then into a floor monitor to point back at me.
Any suggestions? On amps? Monitors? Do I need a mixer too?
I'm not working with a limitless budget so don't bother suggesting any fifteen-hundred dollar acoustic guitar amps or anything like that. Nice and simple and relatively cheap is what I'm looking for. And if it doesn't sound like total crap than that's a bonus. Thanks.

Thanks SSSCIENTIST. That looks pretty cool but, eventhough you say it's "no frills", it still looks a little more elaborate than I'm interested in. Also, with that system, were you suggesting that I than get a monitor as well or that it wouldn't be necessary? Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

No traditional monitors are necessary with a setup like this because the volume involved is relatively low.

If you want an alternative consider this, two of these, two of these and one of these.

Or if you're really pinching pennies (although I read recently on this very site 'buy cheap, buy twice') this has some facilities for plugging mics straight in, but then you'd need mics and stands too.

Thanks again, SSSCIENTIST. The Behringer KX1200 4-Channel Keyboard Amp and PA System looks like the kind of thing I need. I would probably get a monitor as well. Not because it's especially noisy where I play but because my guitar style is extremely quiet(fingerpicking mostly). Do you think the Behringer sounds any good? Think it's a cheap piece of crap? Have any other suggestions for amps with similar features? Thanks.

I'd recommend you consider a Roland KC-350. It's got most of the features of the Behringer plus it is built like a rock, very solid. Live gigs is the last place I'd want to take anything flimsy like Behringer gear. That KX1200 looks quite bulky, bigger than it needs to be to get the job done. You can also see from the picture on the Behringer site that it is not constructed very heavily. I wouldn't trust it.

Go to http://rolandus.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=7&SubCatID=33 and check out the KC-350, I think it has all the features you need and the kind of quality that will make it last for years. I use a KC-300, which is the earlier version of the KC-350. It sounds excellent and has been extremely reliable.

I personally don't think you need a PA type system for what you are doing, and it would be a hassle to drag that thing around and have to set it up and tear it down. A good keyboard amp with a mic input will be plenty for your purposes.

Good amps are also made by a company called Barbetta, you can check out their gear here:

http://www.barbetta.com/Home/home.html

The SE-31 and SE-41 might ones to take a look at. Hope this helps.

Thanks SONICALBERT. All of the amps you suggested look great. I'm sure the Barbettas kick ass but I think they're a little out of my price range. That Roland you mentioned looks very promising. If you, or anyone, has more suggestions please keep them coming. Thanks.

Back