looking for new cans

I use a pair of AKG 240 Studio... very happy. Good bass, not much coloring at all across the entire sound spectrum. Oh, and extremely comfortable, even after hours of wear.

Yo Jas:

All of the suggested cans are fine; however, don't forget to check out the Beyer 250s -- very good sound and they are closed cans.

Happy Halloween

GREEN Hornet :p :p :p :D :cool:

Hi, not to resurrect a dead post, but I figured it's better than starting a new one.

I too, am looking for some new headphones. I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-V700's. However, I'm having some problems in my recordings. I record exclusively on my computer and I find that my vocals are just not in tune. I'm having some problems hearing myself. I was told that the Sony's I'm using are good at deadening sound and therefore may be hampering my abilities to hear well.

I'd like to get a pair of Sennheiser's. Judging from some of the posts I've read, I need a closed-cup since I'm recording vocal tracks. Can I use these same cans for mixing down as well? I'm not particularly advanced in my recording capabilities, but I'm willing to shell out some decent money on a good set of cans to help my vocal tracks. Not to mention I'm working on just improving my singing and pitch in general.

Anywho, I saw that the Sen 280's were recommended. Given my application, will these cans do the trick? Like I said, I'd like to stick to Senn's, but I'm willing to deviate from that if I have to.

Thanks,
Ben.

P.S. YAY! First post. =]

But many of us--who have simpler hobby studios--do indeed start with a rough mix on cans and then move to monitors for the final mix. So if you're in this league, then some good-sounding cans are important.

J.

Yo, Yubb: I strongly ditto the recommendation NOT to mix with headphones, no matter what level you are.

Want some good closed cup cans? The Extreme Isolations are the ones. $79.00 @ Musician's Friend. Ain't a better deal around. I also like the Sennheiser 280. They sound better and are more comfy but they don't isolate as well.

If you want some great closed headphones, there is nothing better than the Etymotic ER-4S. It is a bit pricey, but has a flat frequency responce at the eardrum and blocks out around 20-30 dB. They are great for mic placement.

While I haven't used the Senn. HD 280, I love my HD 580 and HD 600. The people over at HeadRoom (www.headphone.com) ranked the HD 280 fairly well. For other suggestions, you might want to check out Head-Fi (www.head-fi.org).

Don't forget to check out the Audio Techica ATH-M40fs which sound great and are now on sale at Musician's Friend for $59.

Back