Looking for electric Jew Harp

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
Or a Jew harp program that can run in real time to be able to sit in with bluegrass bands.triggered by a small midi keyboard if at all possible.

Triggering from a keyboard is certainly possible. Question is, do you possess or wish to obtain the right type of gear to do it? The answer lies in a Sampler. To playback recorded samples of a human playing the harp. Loaded as a sample in the machine, then triggered by notes on the keyboard, can produce different tambres of the sound. Your recording process could record multiple takes of the human playing the harp to capture short "bounces" to moderate to long (I may not be accurately identifying the descriptive word for what we hear), which then in turn could be layered onto a single patch program. Meaning, that quick velocities trigger the short bouncing sounds, moderate for moderate, and slow velocities to trigger longer durations of the attack of the harp.

This would allow multiple samples to be triggered on any given note, distinguished by how quickly the note was struck, and then further variations by playing up and down the keyboard.

Then let's not forget all the various mouth positions that the harpist uses to bring about different nuances of sound. Those, too, need to be recorded and layered onto a keyboard patch.

Sampler is required.

Hardware-wise, Kurzweil K2500S (S must be in the model name), or K2600 (samplers became default equipment). Akai also made samplers as did Emu. I forget all the various brands and models.

Software-wise, you have lots of options, but then also need a good computer and soundcard so as to not have latency.

Last edited:
Man, I can tell you, this is not gonna work.

Bluegrass musicians are the most hide-bound bunch you ever met. Electric guitars are spawn of the devil to most of 'em, and some even turn their noses up at you if you show up with anything with out "Martin" on the headstock. a synth will probably get you shot- and if your assailant's jury is made up of 12 angry bluegrass musicians, you will NEVER see a conviction.

Thanks guys I know it will be tough but thought I'd give it a try for the recording end.

Now for the live aspects .... I could black box it :D but would be found out and tared and feathered for sure.
But I did see a bluegrass band with an electric fender porch pedal.

check tonehammer...they have kontakt samples for just about every instrument like that...

If not tonehammer try microhammer..the kontakt player can be downloaded for free at NI if you dont have the full version

whether or not the musicians will "let" you use it is one thing but the quality of samples wont be the problem Im pretty sure

You're a very strange man.

:D

Ha ..... Just think of all those bluegrass player when I show up with this to play at open mic and such.

Come to think of it. I don't see anyone playing a jug at all either! I'll have to have that app as well.

ya' know ..... on Gergs' CD, Drag Racing, he has a country song that he recorded Jews Harp on and he did a great job of capturing the sound. It sounded so good that it really caught my attention the first time I heard it.

Back