a "live" space

audioforgery

My studio (a teeny bedroom) seems to be a very live space - I've considered covering the walls with fabric or foam, but don't know where to start. Anyone have any luck with certain materials, methods? Also, where to buy?

***Man, there's always something ELSE you have to have for a home studio!

I use carpet on the walls and it works great.
I found remnants at a good price and was able to cover the walls of an 8'x 18' room for about $100.00.
Another option is sheet cork. Price unknown.
The carpet option can also be free, but that sometimes involves "dumpster diving"
good luck!

No Problem! Hey, I'm not above dumpster diving either, I just wanted color/thickness control this time. I dumpster dove to assist in my first studio, ended up with a color scheme of purple, orange and puke green. Very Greg-Brady-going-through-his-hippie-phase kind of thing. Anyway, another good thing about carpet is that you can bend it in the corners of the room. This makes life easier and helps with the sonic problems that can be caused by right angle corners in a sound room. The pictures are kind of dark, but you can check out what I did with the walls in my studio here: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~greencushion/wsnB6B7.html

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 09-22-1999).]

After having an eyefull of your rig, I've just one thing to say -- "I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!" Actually, I'm most impressed by your ability to stay digital through the whole process. I'd have to recommend any newbie to your website, just to have some direction as far as equipment purchases and set-up.

Speaking of which, if the forum doesn't already exist, I think it would be fascinating (and educational) to see pix of member's studio's with an equipment list. Seeing the evolution from a TASCAM Porta One to the super digital mixer was inspiring.

Thanks for the kind words! A lot of blood, sweat and beers, uh, I mean tears, went into building that room.

I like that idea of having an area where we all can see & read about each others set-ups/equipment. I do really enjoy seeing other home studios. I find it inspiring as well.
(lightbulb) Hows about a HomeRecording.com year 2000 calendar featuring members' studios? I'd Pay a few bucks for one.
Dragon? Anyone?

I recently dumpster-dove some brand new nice-ass berber carpet from an office that was being fixed up... I also am using egg crate foam mattress pads which arent too expensive... you can hang them on the wall "as is" and take them down for people to sleep on when they crash out at your house.

I think that I would like to nomitate SN-8 for the funniest guy on here! And possibly for the person with the most creative use of room treatments! SN-8 For President!

Ed

HEY HEY HEY!!!!!
THat's S8-N... not SN-8.
S8-N as in SATAN!!!!!
Not SN-8 as in SNATE...

P.S. I've got a bunch of gear (drum mic's) on the way so get ready for more questions.
Hasta,
S8-N

Your wish is my command! See the new forum I just set up instead of working :) Maybe we can make a calendar out of what shows up here...

Back