Let`s build a SUN studio!

Ola Lagarhus

Sam Phillips, the owner of SUN studio in Memphis - from an article in MIX magazine earlier this year:

"I used the old 1-foot-square acoustic tiles, and I knew there were a lot of ways to approach it to make a live-er studio or deader studio. I never truly liked a dead room for what I was going to do with a very sparse number of people on the session - maybe two to four or five was a big band - so all that was taken into account.
I designed some angles in the studio, about 18 by 32 or 33 feet long, and I designed a V-type ceiling with horizontal and vertical Vs on either end of the studio, and I just kind of played with it. I would go in and clap my hands. It sounds kind of crude, but that was the way a lot of people felt the vibe of a studio. I wanted to have a good sound that I felt was natural." (Sam Phillips)

Pictures from the SUN studio:
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/sun.html

Jim Dickinson, who has worked at SUN studio:
"Beyond a question of doubt, the room is really the thing with 706 Union Avenue. The room sound, even with the gear they have in there now, is still special. It has to do with that old asbestos square acoustic tile, which covers everything but the floor. The ceiling is no longer flat. Sam made it into these kind of V-shaped rows with the acoustic tile and stright pins. When you speak, you can feel the air pressure in the room. The more
volume that you put into that room, the more the midrange compresses. It is sort of like Phil Spector principle of putting in too much in too small a space, and the whole room becomes a compressor."

Well, one could probably find another material than asbestos.......

Back