Latency Compensation on protools le?

KonradG

Medicated Member
i have a decent amount of delay on pro tools le, when i decrease the buffer size to 512 or below, it gives me an error (not enough buffer). I searched up and down this site and saw alot of posts about the error, but im not getting that at 1024, just some delay.

I heard something about a latency compensation plug. Will that eliminate the delay? Im not using any plug ins, maybe its just cuz im on a laptop, but its 3.2 ghz with 512 ram and a 7200rpm hd. Its not too much delay, im working around it, just fiddlin with the mix knob on the mbox.

Can you increase your RAM? I upped mine in my Mac G4 from 512 MB to 1.5 GB -- no problems. You can also monitor incoming signals through a mixer, totally getting around the latency issue. You should be able to work with a buffer size of 512 during recording in low latency monitoring mode without a significant delay. In mixdown, of course, it's not an issue, so you can up it to the max.

JohnnyB said:
Can you increase your RAM? I upped mine in my Mac G4 from 512 MB to 1.5 GB -- no problems. You can also monitor incoming signals through a mixer, totally getting around the latency issue. You should be able to work with a buffer size of 512 during recording in low latency monitoring mode without a significant delay. In mixdown, of course, it's not an issue, so you can up it to the max.

i think i can increase ram. im curious how much that will be for laptops, but i will build it if they will come.

The Mbox has built in no-latency monitoring. Its the "Mix" knob. You balance the mix knob between input (what you are recording) and playback (what you have already recorded and mixed in Pro Tools) so that you get the right balance in your headphones. Hit the mono switch if you are recording only one channel and it will make it centered instead of in one ear.

Then mute the track you are recording to in pro tools. It will still record, you just won't hear it slap back in the headphones as part of the mix.

Voila! A no-latency monitoring environment.

Enjoy,
Chris

KonradG said:
i have a decent amount of delay on pro tools le, when i decrease the buffer size to 512 or below, it gives me an error (not enough buffer). I searched up and down this site and saw alot of posts about the error, but im not getting that at 1024, just some delay.

I heard something about a latency compensation plug. Will that eliminate the delay? Im not using any plug ins, maybe its just cuz im on a laptop, but its 3.2 ghz with 512 ram and a 7200rpm hd. Its not too much delay, im working around it, just fiddlin with the mix knob on the mbox.

Chris S. made a good suggestion. But I thought you'd like to know about this site too, http://duc.digidesign.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB32 it's been really helpfull for me an my PT woes. Friendly people and a lot of info in previous searches to take advantage of.

BTW, more RAM is only helpfull if you're using a lot of software synths or delays - as I understand it. 512 should do for a lot of users.

I think with some research on that site and some trouble shooting, you should be able to record at 128 sample delay with the specs you mentioned. I'll bet there may be a hardware conflict, Windows setting you could turn off, or something else simple. Of course it could be the USB 1.1 interface choice by Digidesign. Kinda like sucking an elephant through a garden hose. Try that site though - really heplfull!

good luck

Back