Korg D32XD/Please Help.

BigBrotherMotow

I am going to build a studio in my home and I am SERIOUSLY considering making this my first purchase. However, I am having problems finding any reviews or opinions about this digital recorder. Please, if anyone has any knowledge or EXPERIENCE with this product please give your opinion...it will help me very much. Thanx in advance.

I NEED to be able to do everything on this board. I plan to mix and master my own stuff and I'm wondering if the features on this board will be sufficient or will I have to buy lots of other equipment in order to put out quality stuff. I have heard a few people trash the borad because it doesn't have a VGA output for a monitor. It's not a dealbreaker for me as long as the board can handle the rest.

One more thing, I know that the board has a usb port and I need to know about alternative drive hook ups for archiving material. Is zip or jaz possible? Is a computer necessary? What's easier to do, back up on CD or export wav files?

Once again Thanks in advance

I have a d16xd and I love it I record bluegrass & acoustic music.
The board has everything you need also you go to the Korg web site and you get up dates for the board. I bought a computer so I can run pro tools but it not needed. The board is a computer. The best way to say it is I use to have about 20.000 invested in a analog studio and this board replaced all the equipment. Also the fan does make noise but I have recorded at the board and did'nt pick up the fan. Just check mis placement. Its a great board and the support you get from korg Kick some major butt!!!!!!!

the idea of putting in a control room is so the noise of the equipment need not be tracked...so get youre unit out of the tracking room.:rolleyes:

Hey BigBro',
I own a Korg D1600 - with which I'm happy, but still looking for something up the ladder in the 24-bit domain ....
If I were going to look at $2999 for the D32XD, I also take a serious look at the Tascam SX1-LE - for same money.

Korg put some GREAT features on the D32XD, but left some basics like external VGA and mouse support - based on my experience with the D1600, I wouldn't want to edit waveforms on that screen !! You also have a host of add-on boards necessary to give same in/out features that the SX1-LE has....

Here's some differences...

1. The SX runs on BEos, so it's basically a disguised computer - albeit set up for a specific purpose.

2. It supports 128 channels sequenced midi - with 2 MIDI in and 4 out

3. 999 virtual tracks vs 256

4. Ethernet port - supports bi-directional xfer of Wav/SoundDesignerII files to PC/MAC over network. This is because of the underlying file system used to store projects (according to the owners manula anyway). So it doesn't need TOSLINK or S/PDIF to get files toa PC shoudl you wish to master that way.

5. 3 sets of stereo monitor outs vs 2

6. Full 5.1 Surround support

7. up to 5 separate monitor mixes....

Ultimately, it's your decision, but I'd at least check it out b4 you buy !!

Steve

darrin_h2000 said:
the idea of putting in a control room is so the noise of the equipment need not be tracked...so get youre unit out of the tracking room.:rolleyes:

A great number of us don't have that option.

Hey, BigBro. I don't understand your comment about not finding reviews since I can't help but run into them recently. I've seen at least 3 in the past month, including Recording mag's review last month. Get thee to some bookstores and hit the mag websites for more on the new Korgs.

As someone noted, I keep reading--great machine, but noisy fan.

Good luck,

J.

Well, I wasn't able to find anything at first...but thanks to the people on these boards (whom have pointed me in the right direction) I have been enlightened to a wealth of resources; magazines, web sites and such. I think I have heard/read enough to make my desicion...

Thanks all!

Back